Question

Can I connect my Playbar with In-Ceiling Speakers&Amp?

• 9 October 2020
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to connect my Playbar, which is connected to my TV via an optical cable, with my In-Ceiling Speakers (which are connected to the AMP, which is connected to ethernet). The Playbar is not connected to ethernet.

I’ve tried setting up/connecting the Amp as “surrounds” in the app. They connect, but then sound either 1. Doesn’t play at all or 2. only comes from the Playbar. 

Are these compatible? Am I missing something? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @tun

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, since you've done multiple attempts to set up your Sonos amp as surround and still failed.

There are some conditions for this to work.

Your home theater speaker and Sonos:Amp must be wired in one of the following configurations:

• Both the Sonos home theater speaker and Sonos:Amp are wired to the router with an Ethernet cable.
  • The Sonos home theater speaker is wired to the Sonos:Amp with an Ethernet cable and another Sonos product is wired to the router.

Then open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.

Follow the steps to add surround speakers to complete the setup.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

@Mark P thanks for the quick reply!! 

Question on the Ethernet connection: Do they have to be directly wired to the router, or can I connect them to any Ethernet port? I’m assuming the latter? 

i.e. Could I have the Amp directly wired to the router, and the Playbar hooked up to an Ethernet outlet? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @tun.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

I’ll try to find the best way for your Sonos:amp work flawlessly.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

@Mark P Confirmation #: 1636341836

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @tun.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Can you please hardwire again the Sonos Amp to the ethernet cable?

You need to set up the speaker wirelessly again Go to Settings » System » Network » SonosNet Channel » choose channel 1.

Try to add it again as surround and play some music.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

@Mark P I connected the Sonos Amp to the router directly and followed the “Channel” instructions. 

It looks like the speakers had better … success in connecting, but again once it was “connected,” the sound only came from the Soundbar. 

There was a message that said the Playbar also has to be connected to the ethernet, which I also tried, but that didn’t help either. 

Any more suggestions?