Question

Cable routing to wall mounted Playbar

• 18 November 2017
  • 2 replies

I'm about to chisel a cable run into a masonry wall for a new Samsung TV. My plan is to place a sound bar - and odds are it'll be a Playbar - beneath the TV. The Samsung needs the cables to exit the wall on its centre line within a few inches of the bottom of the TV. The sound bar cables will clearly need to exit a little way below that. Given the recommended TV/Playbar spacing of 1", how far below the bottom edge of the TV will I need to go before bringing the Playbar cables out the wall in order to meet the connector recess in the rear? I'm planning optical, LAN, HDMI ARC (in case I go Yamaha soundbar) and power cables. Any others I should add? Also what connector will I need on the power cable for the Playbar? I imagine figure of eight but given it will be a UK model, could it be different? (With apologies for the earlier incomplete post. I pressed return to start a new line, not realising it would post the question).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The main restriction will be the maximum bend on the optical cable, I suggest that you go off centre so that you can come in horizontally and then only have to contend with a 90 degree turn. The Playbar itself is 15cm deep, so the depth will depend upon the length of your optical connector plug. There is no HDMI connector on the Playbar... Overall, I didn't fill in my channelling until after I mounted the Playbar and determined the best cable run.

Also beware of HTCP 2.2 limitations, my TV will not allow HDMI in AND Optical out at the same time, so I had to supply the audio to the Playbar via an optical lead from my Sky Q box and an HDMI cable from the Sky Q box to the TV. My Playbar has a figure of 8 which is supplied with the Playbar.
Many thanks for the observations. Yes - not sure about getting optical out of a TV that has HDMI in - it certainly doesn't with the older Pioneer and Samsung TVs here. This time it's a Samsung QLED with an external tuner/input One Connect box so we shall see.