Bye Sonos - New Google Home ! It's now 2017!

Userlevel 3
Badge
So I ranted here: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/its-2016-make-playbar-gen-2-for-dts-fix-aux-for-play-5-gen-2-6735204/index2.html about 2016 issues. This was on top of what I saw from other people. Well, it's now the day. It's a massive ebay sale along with Alexa.

I bought 4 google home's, 2 x Sony (HT-ST9 - with google cast built in), 3 audiocast dongles, dumped apple music in favor of sonos, and it all work's. It's truly multi-home. I created zones and now my google home projects music where I want it, how I want it, in overlapping zones if required. The last insult was the release of the playbase with optical only support. Just had to post to let you know that I would follow up on this. Sony is embracing updating their tech through software with google home (shocking, but you might as well trade spots with them).

Best of luck and good luck!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I've bought a google home and I'm waiting for the 2 systems to work together.

If not, the choice will be easy, on one side Sonos that looks like stuck in a vision that was great 15 years ago and its difficulties to adapt and keep up with the world, and Google with the potential and span of services I can expect.

It is sad, I have had Sonos for many years now, but the wheel is turning, and I want to stay up to date, not old enough to stay behind in a museum.
Sigh.
For me it is all about the music and how it sounds. For some it is all about the gadgets. Each to their own. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Goodbye and good luck.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It is interesting that a simple single solution has been thrwon out in a hissy fit to replace it with three completely different inferior systems to get the same effect. Which would have three different controlling apps.

Each to their own.
Sonos Speaker quality is infinitely better than Google Home, I will await integration but being both audiophile and gadget guy i’m Displeased with the lag from Sonos. My other option is to go to HomePod, that is going to be a real threat to Sonos and Google home for people that like quality hardware and gadgetry.
I'm with you. I want the quality sound, but love my gadgets. I'm pretty invested in the Sonos ecosystem, but would like to add voice control. Multi-room is a must. I have tried Echo and Echo Dot, and Google Home and Mini. I'm hoping that Sonos becomes agnostic between the two (and any future systems). My Sonos speakers sound great and their App has the most services, but I am also an Android advocate. Big time.

Waiting to see how it all shakes out....🆒
I've bought a google home and I'm waiting for the 2 systems to work together.

If not, the choice will be easy, on one side Sonos that looks like stuck in a vision that was great 15 years ago and its difficulties to adapt and keep up with the world, and Google with the potential and span of services I can expect.

It is sad, I have had Sonos for many years now, but the wheel is turning, and I want to stay up to date, not old enough to stay behind in a museum.

Hmmmm. I have a Google Home, as well. A single Sonos One blows it away in sound quality; my stereo-paired Sonos Ones completely destroy it. Oh, and we won't mention that the Ones can be bonded with a Sub.

The Home sometimes gives better search results than the One's Alexa. Really gets annoying having to say OK, Google!". "Alexa" is just so much better to utter. But Google Assistant is coming to Sonos soon, so, bye-bye Google Home! I hear Craigslist calling.
Badge
Since Christmas I have 3 google homes in the house. My whole family loves this gadget, as it simply works beyond our expectations. After the initial fun with google home, it was very disappointing to find out Sonos was not in the list of supported music services. The Sonos proposed workaround of using a chomecast is ridiculous - but hey... it buys some time to adopt. For a leading brand like Sonos I can expect full support for the google home by now right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos only recently launched voice control with Amazon. That is still in early days but is improving and recently gained Spotify integration. They have said they are working on a Google home solution but you will not get them to announce a set date other than probably some time in 2018. Why ridicule a work around too?

The consensus above seems to be that Sonos speakers are way better than Google home, or any Alexa device, so it should be worth waiting for?
Userlevel 2
We also got some Google Home Mini's over Xmas and I now have it working pretty well with the Sonos, but agree it's somewhat limited and requires 2 specific pieces (probably cheaper than the losses from selling up and moving on)
- a Sonos component with a line in. I have Connect
- a Chromecast Audio. I have 2 I picked up when they were going for £15 each.

In the Home app, add your prefered music service as default (Google Play or Spotify), then tell it to stream by default to your chosen Chromecast or group. I grouped my 2 chromecasts (one called Sonos CC and once called Study) into 'House' group.

In the Sonos app, tell the speaker with the Chromecast connected to auto-play line in. I also added include grouped rooms.

A bit of a hassle to set up initially.

Now I just say "Hey Google, play some 'insert band name here' on house".

Google Play fires up, goes to the Chromecast group and the house starts rocking.
Volume control works.

The biggest thing I can't do is control groups and individual speakers, but since my Connect powers the speakers in the same room as the Home Mini (kitchen), it works very well most of the time with little hassle once I figured out the setup steps.

Long post but hopefully helps someone benefit from my tinkering!

That said, the sooner Sonos is native to Google Home, the better!
Userlevel 2
The other benefit of the above line-in solution is the PC in my study is now grouped with the house just by adding a Chromecast Audio, rather than having more Sonos in a room that already has a reasonably good quality audio setup on the PC.

Side note, I also have a Chromecast video. I set that in the Home App to be default video output. I can now say "Hey Google, watch some 'cartoons'". Google fires up the Chromecast, turns on the TV (it auto senses an HDMI input) and start playing cartoons on Youtube. Through the PlayBar, of course. Slick.
Userlevel 2
Playing while I type ;)

I've created my Chromecast group and called it House.
I've set Default media playback in the Home app to the group House

Now I just say "Hey Google, play some funky music!" and it plays on my Chromecast Group 'House' (Connect and Study) and all speakers grouped to the Connect.
Badge
I have it KInda working with my playbar is ....My TV has a chromecast. I can tell google home to play my spotify music on my Livingroom TV. It then tuns on the tv and plays my music ( a play list if I want) through my playbar and sub with rear play ones. Works OK. I can turn up or down the volume as well. I can't play to other sonos that I have but not a big deal right now. I can also play youtube or netfix throught it using google home
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You can do the same thing with photos you have stored in the cloud with google photos, which makes a great easy slideshow to bring those old memories to life.
Bye bye. Why do you feel the need to come on the sonos forum and tell us you are leaving. Why would we care ?