Brand new telly - zero sound from Playbar

Badge
I've just bought a new telly LG OLED 55 B7 to use with the Playbar that I bought last year but could never use as the old telly apparently wasn't compatible. Astonishingly the Playbar still doesn't work with this brand new telly!! I don't understand why it works perfectly with music from my mobile but there's no sound at all when I'm watching TV programmes. How do I fix this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Have you set the TV's audio to use optical out?
Badge
Yes, I did.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What was the compatibility issue with the old TV, exactly? If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it didn't work for some other reason and that reason is also the same reason the new TV doesn't work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What source is the TV set to? What output mode is the optical set to (eg Dolby Digital)? Does any sound come out of the TV speakers? Tried a different optical cable? What does the About page in the Sonos app say the Playbar is receiving?
Badge
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm afraid I'm not a techie but will try my best to answer your questions. The compatibility issue was that the old Panasonic didn't have an optical out. I've just noticed I asked about this same issue for that telly (a Panasonic Viera) a year ago. The new TV (LG OLED 55 B7) is connected to a cable box (Virginmedia). I'm not sure how to find out about the output mode although I know the LG has Dolby Digital. There is sound from the tv speakers. I've only used the optical cable that Sonos provided. Finally, in the App About section, Audio In : No Signal.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Ok, so No Signal means that the PlayBar is getting nothing from the TV, if the Virgin Media box has a Optical out, try connecting the optical cable to that and the PlayBar and see what that does. On a Sky Q box, for example you can set it to standard or Dolby Digital 5.1, I guess the Virgin Media box will have similar settings.

Forgive me if I point out the obvious, the optical cable has small rubber bungs on each end of the optical cable, unfortunately these are small enough to allow you to plug the cable in with them in place.

If you have sound from the TV speakers then it may not be outputting from the optical, so have a look through the audio settings in the TV and set it to external speakers, which should silence the TV speakers. After that there may be setting to transcode the audio, set it to the simplest, stereo or PCM. Take it from there.
Ossian,

The LG OLED55B7V Owners manual is located here:

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-OLED55B7V

In the TV settings goto sound -> sound out -> audio out ...and choose the option for external audio device connected to optical port.

Set the audio type to Auto, or if you don’t hear anything try PCM... but auto should work for a majority of audio sources from the TV.
Badge
Thank you very much, John and Ken. It's late here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to try these out. I'll let you know how I get on.
Badge
My son used his app controller again tonight with the TV - and this time it worked! We have sound via the Playbar so here's hoping it will work every time from now on. Thank you for all your help.
Related but different question ... do you have the playbar sat in front of the OLED and if so, is there any viewing obstruction to the bottom of the screen? Thanks
Badge
Hi Steve. The Playbar is attached by a bracket to the base of the telly so there's no obstruction.