Answered

Blu-ray to PlayBase Conundrum

• 19 August 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi all -

Just got the PlayBase and it is great for music and for all my TV needs running from my Roku (via an HDMI out and to the PlayBase over optical.)

Imagine my surprise to learn that it wouldn't be this easy for Blu-ray and DVD! (They really keep that part hush-hush when they try to sell you these things at the store.)

Anyway, my understanding is that my Blu-ray player, the Samsung BD-P3600 (which, admittedly, is about 9 years old), can not output audio into the necessary Dolby Digital. As such, the PlayBase just goes mute and my TV reverts to its interior speakers.

Question: If I were to get another optical cable and a splitter and went direct from my Blu-ray to the Sonos for audio (keeping the HDMI for picture) would this solve the problem? Or do I need to bite the bullet and purchase a newer Blu-ray player that can make the audio conversion on its own? (And if this is the case, can I set that as default, or will I need to make an adjustment with each disc?)

Any info anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Other than this issue, the PlayBase is cool, but this is a pretty big flaw!
icon

Best answer by MikeV 19 August 2018, 13:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's likely that you'll need to get a new Blu-Ray player that can convert the audio to Dolby Digital. As a positive though, it's a set-once setting, so you just need to set it in the audio settings one time and it will work for all Blu-Ray discs. I specify that because at least in the Samsung players that I've read manuals for, DVD discs won't have their audio converted, just Blu-Ray movies.

Many have chided Sonos for their lack of support of DTS... the reason they don't support it is likely the low bandwidth of optical (Playbar and Playbase) and HDMI-ARC (Beam) connections, while DTS needs a higher bandwidth connection (attainable with a direct HDMI connection/passthrough, but not HDMI-ARC).
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I use a Samsung BD-F6500, it downmixes DTS to DD5.1on the fly when watching Blu-ray disks and also serves Netflix in 5.1 (through HDMI to the TV then to my Playbar via optical).
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
DTS works just fine over optical
paulrw - you are the 1st to suggest an optical direct from the Samsung will do the trick. It is certainly the cheaper option, so I'll give it a try!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
No , optical will not convert DTS to DD5.1 which is your problem. I meant an optical toslink lead has no problem with the DTS format.
You need to buy a Blu-ray player or xbox one s etc that will convert DTS to DD5.1 on the fly.
Anyone know if this player will work ?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-UBK80-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Compatibility/dp/B07CBYHCL9
There's no indication on the LG website that that player transcodes DTS to Dolby Digital.