Blu-ray player downscaling?

Badge

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded my blu-ray player to the Panasonic UB-420 with the twin HDMI ports.  I had the 150 and was able to get Dolby Atmos, but for some reason I can’t get it now and it seems the sound is being downscaled.  I have an LG UN9000 tv, and no settings on that have changed, and the Beam (gen 2) is connected to the eArc with the pass-through setting on the tv.  Does anyone know the settings i need from the blu-ray player and which port the audio HDMI cable should be in to get Dolby Atmos/Digital and multichannel PCM sound like I had with the previous player?  Any assistance appreciated. 

Thanks, 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Set the TV to these settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Sound Output: Pass Through
eARC Support: On

Set the UB420’s Digital Audio Output settings to this:

Dolby Audio: Bitstream
DTS/DTS-HD: PCM
Secondary Audio: Off

You only need to use the Video Out HDMI port on the UB420. Connect this to any HDMI port on the TV.

Badge

Thank you so much!  I do have those as the current settings, but still am not getting Atmos.  Is there any other setting I may be missing??

Userlevel 7

Thank you so much!  I do have those as the current settings, but still am not getting Atmos.  Is there any other setting I may be missing??

What specific Blu-ray disc are you playing? What audio format are you getting?

Badge

When I try a disc w/DTS audio (Tenet) i’m getting Stereo PCM as opposed to Multichannel PCM 5.1 like I used to get.  I tried Top Gun:Maverick and am getting Multichannel PCM 7.1 as opposed to Atmos.   

Userlevel 7

When I try a disc w/DTS audio (Tenet) i’m getting Stereo PCM as opposed to Multichannel PCM 5.1 like I used to get.  I tried Top Gun:Maverick and am getting Multichannel PCM 7.1 as opposed to Atmos.   

Are you 100% sure the UB420 settings are set to this?

Dolby Audio: Bitstream
DTS/DTS-HD: PCM
Secondary Audio: Off

Have you manually selected the Dolby Atmos audio track on the Top Gun disc?

You might try unplugging the TV, Beam, and Blu-ray player from power for a couple of minutes. Also try toggling the eARC Support setting on the TV off and then on again.

Badge

100% sure of those settings, yes.  i’ll try unplugging and/or toggling the eARC support off then on.  

Thanks so much for the info.  

Badge

Could it possibly be something with how i have the HDMI cables configured?  I have the Beam into the eARC port and the audio cable from the player right next to the Beam input.  I put the video HDMI cable into the remaining port, and I get video just fine.  I’m really perplexed. 

Userlevel 7

Based on the audio you are getting, it seems like you have the settings switched on the Blu-ray player. Can you send me a photo of the current Digital Audio Output settings on the UB420?

Userlevel 7

Could it possibly be something with how i have the HDMI cables configured?  I have the Beam into the eARC port and the audio cable from the player right next to the Beam input.  I put the video HDMI cable into the remaining port, and I get video just fine.  I’m really perplexed. 

Don’t use both HDMI ports on the Blu-ray player. Just use one cable from the player’s VIDEO OUT to the TV’s HDMI port.

Badge

Yeah, i did an experiment and unplugged the audio cable and i was getting the higher audio.  HOWEVER, when i just use the one HDMI cable, at certain points in the movie, the audio will cut in and out for a second or two and be spotty (mainly during loud action scenes).  So I was hoping the second audio only HDMI would alleviate this problem, and it did while i had it plugged in, but wasn’t getting the higher audio.  Any workaround for this issue? 

Badge

I should clarify: that audio cutting out and being spotty only happens w/Atmos, not DTS. 

Userlevel 7

Is the HDMI Input Audio Format setting on the TV set to Bitstream on all of the used HDMI ports?

Try using a different HDMI cable with the single cable connection.

Badge

Ok, I tried a new, higher speed HDMI cable and i’m still getting this same issue with Dolby audio.  I used it as the single connection for audio and video and the issue still isn’t fixed.  i also tried putting this new cable into the Beam and connecting it to the eArc port on the tv and it did the same thing.  i’m really at a loss here, is this just a setting i’m missing, or am i just going to have to suffer with this sound issue until i can add another component (receiver?) to my home theater setup?  it’s so frustrating. 

Badge

And all of the HDMI inputs on the TV are set to Bitstream, and the dolby audio setting on the blu-ray player is set to Bitstream as well. 

Userlevel 7

Can you please post photos of the HDMI cables connected to the back of the Blu-ray player and TV and post a screenshot of the current Digital Audio Output settings on the UB420?

Badge

Yep, i’ll post those.