Blu-Ray and 4k fans are left out. We buy discs, please set up the proper audio decoding and input systems

• 14 July 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I enjoy listing to music and usually use my Apple in ALAC to listen to something. My main stress is that I have always been a huge fan of films and have a large Blu-Ray and starting 4k collection. Something like 600+ BRD's and 4k's just started being released so that number is low. I have been using the Sonos playbar+sub, with the connect amp and two ceiling speakers for my 5.1 in my main room. The biggest problem I have had is when I would like to enjoy a film, I am pretty much screwed for audio since Sonos refuses to man up and decode DTS-HD or anything other than Dolby Digital for 5.1. Yes I can 'dumb it down' to PCM but that is not what I bought the disk for or my top notch Blu-Ray disc player for.

I feel that Sonos has looked at film viewing like it was way back when everything was just a silent black & white film with some type of live musical accompaniment happening. Well look where that went! The playbar is primarily used for flat-panel, wide screen, HDTV's that have always had terrible audio but great picture. They are basically made for the visual aspect of film. We need the proper audio that can be efficiently and reasonable set up that will work with BRDP's (blu-ray disc players), or any type of newer top notch streaming. VUDU and Netflix are starting to stream fine audio and I am sure Amazon is with there too. I hope the Sonos guys in Santa Barbara are reading this stuff and paying attention to what is said on these items if they want to continue costing so much and getting left behind by new, better systems.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Sageguy, thanks for sharing your perspective on this. We appreciate where you are coming from and will forward the feedback to our development team.
Badge +1
I have to agree with Sageguy on this matter. Not only can we not benefit from HD codecs but height channels (Atmos, DTS:X) have now become mainstream and are, successfully, available on other soundbar systems (I just auditioned the Samsung 950).

Where Sonos was, indisputably, "the one to beat", they are now running with the pack. Please continue to 'lead the way'. Any info from the development team would be much appreciated.
Honestly so disappointed. What it the point of getting the beam and a nice system set up with brand new 4k tv and 4k bluray and the audio doesn't work. Either crap sound out of the TV and nice picture or resorting to DVD with Sonos sound. This is not OK at all. Support the most common formats, how is that not a priority?!!!!?!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I am always looking for new items as they are released. The CES 2019 show is 1/9/2019-1/11/2019 where all the manufacturers will be attempting to 'show off' with the newest best stuff. Let's hope Sonos is there with an upgrade or at least somebody takes over the lead in this pack.
I am always looking for new items as they are released. The CES 2019 show is 1/9/2019-1/11/2019 where all the manufacturers will be attempting to 'show off' with the newest best stuff. Let's hope Sonos is there with an upgrade or at least somebody takes over the lead in this pack.

Don't hold your breath. Sonos almost never displays new hardware at CES.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Noice how I included the phrase, 'somebody takes the lead of the pack,' in the sentence. Maybe to be more accurate I should have stated, "Somebody bigger and better" takes the lead.:(
Noice how I included the phrase, 'somebody takes the lead of the pack,' in the sentence. Maybe to be more accurate I should have stated, "Somebody bigger and better" takes the lead.:(

I've heard this kind of stuff every year for 10 years now. Until it actually happens, everyone spouting it looks the fool. For example, the Playbar was released in February 2013, and despite the apparently criminal lack of DTS decried by some members of this forum (including myself), it still gets 4.5 stars on Amazon. So it appears Sonos knows the market far better than you or I.

PS - There are most certainly a company "bigger and better" who manufacture what you wish. Denon, for one. Their fully equipped for DTS, not to mention Hi-Res capable HEOS soundbar has a grand total of 3 reviews on Amazon. The Playbar has 1123.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Yes, I know all about Denon and 'others'. The issue I have with the Denon system is incorporating the LS+RS+SUB (that is left surround+right surround+subwoofer) with the ease and continuity that Sonos does it.The cost is not a huge issue to me and the greatest refief I see for me is when I eventually move to a newly, fully remodeled home, I will go back to serparate processor then amp(s)+needed # of speakers I want. Then, the Soundbar+S1's+Sub stay in the bedroom and the rest gets sold or given to my in-laws.

I have had Denon/Marantz items in the past but after that, went to all separates. So far, I am leaning towards an Emotiva set of processors+amps. Solid, great performing USA made items. I used to love Dynaudio speakers but now am leaning towards Definitive Technology Items, or even the Emotiva speakers too for cost efficiency. This is not meant to be a discussions forum. but those are my comments:D