Skip to main content
Question

Best way to connect Play 5 Gen 1 to TV

Hey everyone, I just bought four Play 5s (first generation) for my kitchen, office, living room, and bedroom. I'm looking to connect them to my TV.

Whats the best way to connect it to my TV?

Should I buy a Playbar or a Beam to connect to my TV and then group it with my Play 5 in the living room?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You need to be aware of any compatibility issues with gen 1 speakers and newer ones. But a Playbar will be a good option. Then use the group feature to play tv audio to the other rooms/speakers. The Playbar should be adequate for your tv audio.

Grouping to Playbar with a tv input there will be a slight audio delay, but from a different room you shouldn’t notice it. 

Is there anyway to not get a delay? In my living room I'd like to watch but when I walk around the house I'd like to still be involved since my wife watches something and I want to react with her. Hmm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Is there anyway to not get a delay? 

No. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

But, it’s only 70msec or so, so you starting to react that much slower than her is going to be pretty close to synchronised. 

Thank you so much for the replies! I really appreciate you. 

That shouldn't be an issue for myself. I'm not sure if I should just sell 2 Play5s for 2 Sonos 1s 1st gen to have a surround set up. Don't know if it'll be worth the hassle. The living room space is kinda small.

Is there anyway to have earc for the playbar or am I stuck with digital in? 

Also, would you know if it would be appropriate for gaming??

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Playbar only has an optical input, not Arc/eArc. 

You could use the :5’s as surrounds to the Playbar. 

I think @nik9669a got a little carried away in providing excellent advice otherwise 😊. Unfortunately you cannot use Play5 Gen 1’s as surrounds as they lack a 5Ghz card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I think @nik9669a got a little carried away in providing excellent advice otherwise 😊. Unfortunately you cannot use Play5 Gen 1’s as surrounds as they lack a 5Ghz card.

Apologies, @Kinnybera - gen 1 are not suitable as surrounds. Thanks for correcting me, @AjTrek1   

I think @nik9669a got a little carried away in providing excellent advice otherwise 😊. Unfortunately you cannot use Play5 Gen 1’s as surrounds as they lack a 5Ghz card.

Apologies, @Kinnybera - gen 1 are not suitable as surrounds. Thanks for correcting me, @AjTrek1   

@nik9669a 

Don’t mention it. We’ve all had a brain-lapse at one time or another especially given Sonos’ naming conventions of  Gen1, Gen2, Gen3 for the same speaker. One can easily become confused 😂

Thanks so much @AjTrek1  and @nik9669a This community is so great!

That's fine. No surround is okay I guess. Just wanted to know how the delay would affect movies and gaming. I saw somewhere on this forum that the lipsync function on the playbar will help. 

@Kinnybera

@nik9669a mentioned compatibility of the Play 5 Gen1 which is a very good point. In case you aren’t aware Sonos has two controllers one of which you must install on your phone or tablet. They are S1 and the newest version called  Sonos App;  previously referred to as S2. 

Take a look at the Chart in the link and you’ll see which products work on S1 and/or the Sonos App controllers. The Play 5 Gen 1 will only work on the S1 Controller. The downside is that you can’t move forward with newer Sonos gear to make them work seamlessly with the Play 5 Gen 1 unless they can work on both S1 and Sonos App

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-version-compatibility

The products that work on either controller are discontinued so you’ll have to search for products much in the same way you acquired your Play 5 Gen1. Also any product that can work on either controller will have to be downgraded to S1 compatibility in which may eliminate features and/or firmware upgrades they may have been privy to with the newest Sonos App.

There are some designed in latencies for SONOS players that will frustrate hard core gammers. While these latencies allow time aligned music play among Grouped Rooms, there will be voice sync issues for Rooms Grouped with a soundbar connected to a TV.

Thanks for everything guys! I think I'll sell 2 of my sonos 5s try and get sonos 1s to stereo pair with playbar. Given my current setup. Is there anyway I could have voice activation with google home devices??