Best TV along with Sonos

Hi all,

which tv is most compatible with dolby atmos and the passthrough to the sonos arc. i now have a Samsung ue55f6670 and this one isn’t able to passtrough a 5.1 signal from another device. Atmos? Haha no that eighter..

only the internal netflix app will give a 5.1 signal to the Arc(thats the highest quality that it can do).

I spoke to Samsung's technical department and they indicate that there is no guarantee that Netflix will transmit the atmos signal on Samsung TVs. there are not the correct agreements between Samsung and Netflix for this. LG does have the atmos support and for almost all other surround sound codecs.

I would like to have some advice here on which TV to buy to get (at least hearing dolby atmos) such a good and comprehensive system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @walterNL.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

We do not have any recommendations as Sonos would like to be fair with all of the brands in the market. However, what i can suggest is we can reach out to other members in the community and seek their opinion and recommendations as they may have the same Sonos components and set up as you have and may have no issues at all.

Let us try to reach out to other members in the community and let us see what are their opinion and feedback on this. We are always here to help.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Depends where you live. Different firmware for different countries seem to cause some conflict with certain setups. Certainly the One Connect box has caused issues for many here. I am using a 2020 Samsung Q80T with my Arc, Gen 3 sub and One SL’s. I have had zero issues using the TV’s native apps or my ATV. ATMOS content plays as expected when available and my set up sounds phenomenal for both movies and music. Definitely would say that the Arc does its best work on movies. 

Thanx for your replay Paul.

Alberta, nice to hear. I live in the Netherlands. So a Qled Samsung series should passtrue al of the dolby atmos and 5.1 dolby surround content.. thats what i understand of your comment. That sounds great! I was looking for a 2019 Samsung Qled 65Q60R bitthere are no signs of atmos.. i am so curious if it wil work..

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanx for your replay Paul.

Alberta, nice to hear. I live in the Netherlands. So a Qled Samsung series should passtrue al of the dolby atmos and 5.1 dolby surround content.. thats what i understand of your comment. That sounds great! I was looking for a 2019 Samsung Qled 65Q60R bitthere are no signs of atmos.. i am so curious if it wil work..

You’re going to want to find a TV with eArc. That will allow you to get the best Atmos experience. 

Badge

Samsung Q60T does output atmos from builtin in apps, at least from Netflix. It also passes through atmos from my nvidia shield. Had lip sync issues with the default settings, but once you set it up right it works flawlessly. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Without eArc you will onlyget lossy Atmos via DD+. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@walterNL Do you need passthrough, for example because you are playing an full Atmos Bluray, or do you need the apps on the TV to play DD+ (compressed Atmos)? Only the first needs eARC. 

@106rallye The most important is that de tv will play dolby amtos from Netflix.. But the best thing is, of course, that the tv can transmit everything. So Netflix but also the signal fram another device. 

LG, for example, states that it has an eARC and that it supports all dolby atmos signals. Unfortunately, this is not the case with Samsung. That is why I have to find out which TV from Samsung can do all this, otherwise I will buy a new TV and then the atmos signal may not work yet .. Samsung itself does not release much about this in the Netherlands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I understand 2020 Samsungs have eARC too (I own a 2019 QE65Q90R on which eARC is still promissed, since you're dutch: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/earc-update-voor-q90r-qled-tv/td-p/1780368), but there's some trouble between the Connect Box models and the Sonos Arc. See this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-samsung-earc-compatibility-issues-6844769

I have ziggo with a horizon and connect box. If I enable dolby digital output in the settings on the Horizon, my TV and the Sonos will not produce any sound. This is probably because my TV cannot pass this through and cannot play dolby digital sound from a connected device. Anyway, I want to orient myself on a good TV with which I can implement atmos and send atmos from the TV itself (eg Netflix) to the Sonos Arc ..

Who in the Netherlands has experience with Samsung TVs that can do this?
My setup is (or become):

Sonos Arc, 2x One SL, Sub
Ziggo Connect box (internet)
Ziggo Horizon (Digital TV)
(NEW TV, Samsung)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I stated earlier my 2019 QE65Q90R works very well with my Beam. Contrary to my old UE46D8000 is does pass through the DD sound from my PS4. Since I own a Beam I do not no if the QE65Q90R Netflix app is DD+ capable (and so will give you Atmos).

Badge

As I stated earlier my 2019 QE65Q90R works very well with my Beam. Contrary to my old UE46D8000 is does pass through the DD sound from my PS4. Since I own a Beam I do not no if the QE65Q90R Netflix app is DD+ capable (and so will give you Atmos).

I think you are getting it wrong Beam does not have DD+ (lossy Atmos).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I did not mean to say the Beam can do DD+ (only the Arc can). I meant to say that I can't check if the Netflix app in the TV can do DD+ because I own a Beam (that can't do DD+). Sorry if my choice of words confuses people.

I have had the Samsung QE65Q70T (2020) with HDMI 2.1 e-Arc for 2 weeks now. In many cases I can use Dolby Atmos via the Sonos Arc along with the Sub (gen3) and One SLs. Here in the Netherlands I use Netflix, PrimeVideo, Disney + and very sometimes Pathe Thuis (this one is very behind, only stereo !?). I can indicate that Dolby Atmos works well in the Netherlands with Netflix and PrimeVideo! Super cool sound! I have not tried external devices such as blueray or apple tv 4k. I hope I was able to give you a little more info.