Best placement for play 1’s as rear surrounds

• 13 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
I have a room in my attic with a couch against the back wall. I have a 5.1setup with. Beam, sub, and two play ones. My plan is to mount the play ones to the wall on either side of the couch. Is there and optimal distance (both height and width from couch) to mount? The reason is ask is because if I can mount them fairly close to the corners of the couch, I will be fine running the wires directly down the wall behind the couch, but if I mount them above and to the side I will mostly likely look to put outlets where I plan to mount or an in wall power kit to hide wires.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, clemenke. The most popular choice generally, is pointing the speaker cone directly towards your space of listening. It needn't be more complicated than that. If you were to mount the speakers high up and against that wall, it may require an awkwardly sharp downward angle. I would place them at or just above ear-height. As far as width, that matters less. You can always correct "poor" or "suboptimal" placement with TruePlay as well, to an extent. Hopefully others will share an opinion, too.
Userlevel 7
Hi, clemenke. The most popular choice generally, is pointing the speaker cone directly towards your space of listening. It needn't be more complicated than that. If you were to mount the speakers high up and against that wall, it may require an awkwardly sharp downward angle. I would place them at or just above ear-height. As far as width, that matters less. You can always correct "poor" or "suboptimal" placement with TruePlay as well, to an extent. Hopefully others will share an opinion, too.

Agreed. There are several stand choices to choose from on the Sonos website.