Beam + XBox One X + Sony x900e Audio Delay and General Settings?

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies
Uh oh. Last night, watching a Bluray via an XBox One X to Sony x900e and the lip sync was off. Sonos app only lets you modify lip sync the opposite that it needed to go so that only makes it worse. I watched a Bluray a couple days ago and the audio seemed fine as well as a few Netflix episodes via the XBox... Maybe I'm just noticing it now. All HDMI connections.

Any thoughts? Hoping it will go away.. x_x

Also, what should Xbox and X900E settings be? XBox has general sound options for Bitstream - Dolby or 5.1 uncompressed. It has a Bluray specific setting to Let receiver decode audio.

The X900E has digital audio out settings for PCM, auto -output compressed audio without change and auto 2-output only compressed audio for multi channel content without change.

My thought is that the Xbox needs to be set to bitstream-dolby and uncheck let receiver decode audio for blurays then X900E to PCM out. OR Xbox to uncompressed 5.1 and let receiver decode audio then TV to auto output compressed audio without change. I believe when I set the TV to PCM on the 2nd XBox settings, no sound came out. Don't really understand what PCM does though...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I would check video settings on the Xbox and X900E to see if you can delay the video to match the audio, or something of that.

As far as the settings go, you're correct that the xbox should be set to bitstream-dolby, I believe PCM is going to result in stereo. Probably fine if you have a beam with no surrounds, but not ideal. I haven't looked at the manual for that Sony, but there is probably a dolby digital or maybe an 'auto' setting.

At the end of the day, you can test what signal your settings are giving you by looking 'About Sonos' (or something like that) and you'll be able to see what audio your getting. If it says Dolby Digital, then you've got it set right.
Badge
I have a 900e also and pretty sure I had to change in the settings the TV to DD and not DD+. I'll look tonight when I get home. PCM will only give stereo. I've noticed no lip sync issues from the ROKU box, PS4 PRO, or Sony 4k BR player. I've wondered also why Sonos only allows you to adjust lip sync in one direction though, should be both I would think.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the replies - I'll set XBox to Bitsteam-Dolby, TV to Auto out and the TV to Dolby vs +. Then review the About Sonos info. They really need to adjust the sync to go both ways. I believe it's currently too ahead of the video which you'd think would be the last situation to occur. I don't see lip sync settings anywhere in the TV or XBox settings but will search more. Guess I might be getting a new Bluray player.... x_x
Userlevel 1
Badge
It might be a picture setting as the sound is ahead of the picture. At least I think it is. I'm going to check to see if game mode is on tonight. Should be off. Also mess with the other video processing tech. Guess that's a bit far fetched since XBox are doing it with other TVs and content.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you haven't tried this yet, for the Sony TV's we've seen some people fix lip sync issues by going into the settings for the TV and under Sound Options > Clear Audio+ > toggle OFF.

The Beam plays the audio as soon as it gets it, so there's no way to set a negative sync on that unit, it's always going to try and play as quickly as possible. The TV would be the device that needs a way to send audio faster. We're happy to help look into this, so please feel free to give us a call on our support line.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If you haven't tried this yet, for the Sony TV's we've seen some people fix lip sync issues by going into the settings for the TV and under Sound Options > Clear Audio+ > toggle OFF.

The Beam plays the audio as soon as it gets it, so there's no way to set a negative sync on that unit, it's always going to try and play as quickly as possible. The TV would be the device that needs a way to send audio faster. We're happy to help look into this, so please feel free to give us a call on our support line.

I have Clear Audio off but no dice. Also turned off all the motion processing features in case it was somehow related to that.
... set a negative sync ....

So, when will Sonos start working on a time machine to include in their software?
Badge
I have a 900e also and pretty sure I had to change in the settings the TV to DD and not DD+. I'll look tonight when I get home. PCM will only give stereo. I've noticed no lip sync issues from the ROKU box, PS4 PRO, or Sony 4k BR player. I've wondered also why Sonos only allows you to adjust lip sync in one direction though, should be both I would think.

Apple TV 4K is good too with the Beam - in fact, for my Samsung TV I had to add a little delay for the first time ever. With Playbar or Playbase, I had to use splitters and switchers to get lip sync correct with Apple TV, Xbox, and any device, but Beam is great with the HDMI Arc in this regard. The bummer is XBOX - you can find non-Sonos related threads on Reddit and elsewhere about the ridiculous amount of delay XBox adds to Bitstream Out - Dolby setting. So the problem is XBox, from what I can find. Setting to PCM Stereo fixes lip sync for me on my TV, but then you lose true surround. It’s a trade. Not sure how helpful this is, but maybe will help you narrow down how to troubleshoot or options.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Apple TV 4K is good too with the Beam - in fact, for my Samsung TV I had to add a little delay for the first time ever. With Playbar or Playbase, I had to use splitters and switchers to get lip sync correct with Apple TV, Xbox, and any device, but Beam is great with the HDMI Arc in this regard. The bummer is XBOX - you can find non-Sonos related threads on Reddit and elsewhere about the ridiculous amount of delay XBox adds to Bitstream Out - Dolby setting. So the problem is XBox, from what I can find. Setting to PCM Stereo fixes lip sync for me on my TV, but then you lose true surround. It’s a trade. Not sure how helpful this is, but maybe will help you narrow down how to troubleshoot or options.

Dang. Guess I'll start looking for a new Blu Ray player. Thx for clarifying the problem.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Last night I realized that I’ve been using the XBox and all of my devices connected to the TV and then an ARC connection to my Sony receiver. I had switched everything over to run through the TV upon getting the One X to avoid getting a new 4K receiver. I had no issues with that connection... and the TV apps/Cable box audio through the TV then Beam appear to be fine... so now it’s just confusing as to what is really going on.