Answered

Beam + Surround System for music playback

• 14 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

if I have a Beam plus 2 x IKEA Symfonisk as a surround system, which of the speakers will be the default for music playback when using Beam as a smart speaker?

Would it just come from Beam, or could I set the surrounds to ‘full’ and have music playback from all three? TIA

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 August 2021, 12:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

For music playback you can have the audio come from all three speakers in ‘Full’ mode, or if you prefer, mostly from the front Beam with the two surrounds in support. That setting is referred to as ‘Ambient’ mode in the Sonos App.

The setup sounds great in both modes, but even better when you add the Sonos Sub into the mix too.

Thank you Ken. Just to confirm, if I tweak the settings for music playback as suggested, will these then be the default for TV or will my preferences be stored so I don’t need to keep changing the setup each time when switching from TV to music and vice versa? Thanks for your advice. 

Thank you Ken. Just to confirm, if I tweak the settings for music playback as suggested, will these then be the default for TV or will my preferences be stored so I don’t need to keep changing the setup each time when switching from TV to music and vice versa? Thanks for your advice. 

The settings change is just for music playback only - the TV audio is not affected by such changes. So it’s a ‘set and forget’ switch - I leave my speakers set to ‘Ambient’ as I have other speakers in the room for music purposes, but many users leave the surrounds set to ‘Full’ for music playback. The TV audio remains the same, whichever option you choose.

The settings change is just for music playback only - the TV audio is not affected by such changes. So it’s a ‘set and forget’ switch - I leave my speakers set to ‘Ambient’ as I have other speakers in the room for music purposes, but many users leave the surrounds set to ‘Full’ for music playback. The TV audio remains the same, whichever option you choose.

Brilliant, thank you for confirming this, that’s great that the speakers can dual purpose, a major plus point for my intended setup