Beam + Sub

• 4 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
After a decade of using the same TV and a two channel stereo set up, I recently bought a new TV and wanted to try a space-saving soundbar to go with it. After testing a few units, not being fully satisfied with the sound and after speaking with a sales rep that swore by the system, I thought I would give the Sonos Beam a try.

So far so good, it was easy to set up and had pretty good audio quality. Right now I am in a smaller apartment and overall the sound was good, but I found that I couldn't turn it up as loud as I wanted and the low end was missing a little bit for music (not so much for movies).

Wanting to see if I could get some better quality out of this new unit I picked up a Sonos Sub. Wow! What a difference, the bass is amazing and melds seamlessly with the Beam making you forget that it is actually two units. This is something that I struggled with while testing some other entry level soundbars.

One thing I did notice was that it seems like I can turn the Beam up louder now? Maybe it's just imagination and the bass from the sub is making it sound louder but it really does make the Beam seem like a stronger sound even for the mid-tones and highs.

Anyone else experience this? Or is my mind just justifying how light my wallet feels?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos sub is really needed to make the Beam shine. Sonos sub is a great unit.
The Sub will free up power on the Beam that was formerly being used to push out the lows, so yes, it is quite possible the Beam has better performance in the mids and highs when the Sub is used.