Beam - no 5.1 from BT TV or Xbox One

So, have set up Beam in Surround mode with 2 play ones.

5.1 is turning up from internal to the TV apps such as Amazon, but only stereo from the BT TV and Xbox One. Have checked all their settings and they are correct. Same from blu-ray player. So from what I can glean:

1. The TV is telling the sources it only has 2 speakers so whatever I set the sources to send they will only send Stereo.
2. The issue around TVs not sending digital audio out that plagued the Playbar (according to the topics on here) isn't sorted by using HDMI.

Tried 2 different TVs to the same effect. I would have thought Sonos would have checked this. I was expecting that given that I have lots of sources that can send 5.1 then I should be able to get it on the beam.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

What brand and model of TV(s) are you using?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Are your TV's able to pass DD5.1 via ARC? Have you checked your TV sound settings? My LG was set to output PCM via HDMI so had to change that.
What brand and model of TV(s) are you using?

Sansung, H series. I understood from the faff people had with the bar that many TVs wouldnt output digital over SPDIF, but thought using HDMI and CEC would fix that - which is why Sonos did it!
Are your TV's able to pass DD5.1 via ARC? Have you checked your TV sound settings? My LG was set to output PCM via HDMI so had to change that.

Yep - that option is a available on the TV from an internal, source (Amazon prime app on Samsung TV), it is greyed out from all external sources. Seems like the gain I thought I would get from the HDMI CEC isnt going to be there.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yep - that option is a ailable on the TV from an internal, ource (Amazon prime app on Samsung TV), it is greyed out from all external sources. Seems like the gain I thought I would get from the HDMI CEC isnt going to be there.

Just looked up H8000 manual and sadly your TV does not pass DD5.1 via ARC.

Yep - that option is a ailable on the TV from an internal, ource (Amazon prime app on Samsung TV), it is greyed out from all external sources. Seems like the gain I thought I would get from the HDMI CEC isnt going to be there.

Just looked up H8000 manual and sadly your TV does not pass DD5.1 via ARC.

Just looked up the manual for my exact TV and (clear as mud) it says:

“● To listen to 5.1-channel audio from an external device, connect the device to the TV via an HDMI cable and the device's digital audio output connector directly to the home theatre system.
● A home theatre system that has been connected to the TV using an HDMI cable and an optical cable supports 2-channel audio only. 5.1-channel audio is, however, available for digital broadcasts with 5.1-channel audio.”

I will try the BT tv, HDMI to TV and BT TV optical to Beam to tomorrow.
Not really ideal, but you may want to consider a switch in between your sources and tv/beam. Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B07C1WQ7R2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531927489&sr=8-3&keywords=optical+in+switch

I didn't research this much, but you'd have to verify it, or any other switch, meets all the needs.
So,

BT TV via Optical will provide 5.1. Annoyingly my testing used the BT TV Netflix app to find a decent 5.1 souce but evidently that app only outputs Stereo over optical. It will output 5.1 over HDMI evidently. Will try the xbox over optical later, as we can then use that as a blue ray player.

Samsung isnt passing at all, so CEC was pointless. Anyone know what % of TVs currently in service will pass it? Sonos will suffer a backlash if it is quite low - mainly as optical is fine for ONE source, but what is the solution if you have many?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
So,

BT TV via Optical will provide 5.1. Annoyingly my testing used the BT TV Netflix app to find a decent 5.1 souce but evidently that app only outputs Stereo over optical. It will output 5.1 over HDMI evidently. Will try the xbox over optical later, as we can then use that as a blue ray player.

Samsung isnt passing at all, so CEC was pointless. Anyone know what % of TVs currently in service will pass it? Sonos will suffer a backlash if it is quite low - mainly as optical is fine for ONE source, but what is the solution if you have many?

Most TV's pass DD over ARC/Optical and have for a number of years. Seems Samsung are a bit of an anomaly as it took them longer to get to this standard.

I think the one issue with the beam is the single input. This stuff would be fixed with 2/3 HDMI inputs.
Been having the same issue which has been bugging me big time! (For the Xbox anyway) Think I may have found a solution though. Downloaded the Dolby Atmos app, went through the set up and I’ve now got surround sound. There’s a few tester videos on the app which all seem to work. Blu-rays sound a ton better too. Hope this helps...
I've a Samsung, BT TV and the beam (with two 1's). 5.1 is working well, have you setup the BT boxes sound?
I've a Samsung, BT TV and the beam (with two 1's). 5.1 is working well, have you setup the BT boxes sound?

yep, all set up and works fine with optical. I am currently blaming Samsung.
Been having the same issue which has been bugging me big time! (For the Xbox anyway) Think I may have found a solution though. Downloaded the Dolby Atmos app, went through the set up and I’ve now got surround sound. There’s a few tester videos on the app which all seem to work. Blu-rays sound a ton better too. Hope this helps... thanks, will give it a go
Right, an EDID feeder convinced the BT box to send 5.1, but the TV refused to send it over HDMI or optical - even though the TV would allow me to select Dolby Digital in its own menu!

Current solution (once Amazon Prime gets onto the 4K BT box) is probably this:
EMK Optical Audio Cable Toslink Cable 1 In-2 Out & 2 in-1 out, Y Type Splitter 2 Way Toslink Digital Audio Cable Toslink Optical Cord 5ft and 8.2ft-black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DNWZHM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cAczBbC44D544

Will just have to remember not to have the xbox and BT box on at same time. 🙂