Beam mutes and ungroups

• 18 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Hi all,

I set up my beam earlier today and it generally works fine but does seem to have a recurring issue. It will often go silent then my TV displays "unmute" when the sound comes back on a few seconds later. It also then ungroups the other speakers in my system (I have unticked the option to ungroup when watching the TV)

I have a Samsung TV and my beam is connected to a bridge grouped with a couple of play 1s in other rooms in my house. Until today, my system has been rock solid for at least the last 6 months. I've also have reserved ip addresses for them.

Diagnostic is 774332081 if someone from Sonos could have a look?

Cheers
Jacob

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Also, I have it grouped with my other speakers to play music through it and it keeps dropping from the group every few minutes.

Diagnostic for this one is 1032943394

Any help would be appreciated
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I unplugged the beam and went back to using the line in on my play 5 which worked flawlessly all day.

I've then done the whole unplug router and powering up devices to remove any ip conflicts (although I have reserved ips for my Sonos devices).

I reintroduced the Beam and I'm now having the same issues so it's something to do with that. Latest diagnostic is 1497167030.

Would be grateful if someone from Sonos could have a look!

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Jacob, the diagnostic is showing more interference on the wireless hitting your Bridge than I like seeing. This shouldn't cause the Beam to stop playing the TV content, but it could cause grouped players to stop playing off of the Beam, and for the Beam to drop off from an existing group.

Have you tried setting up your Sonos to connect to your house wireless instead of using the Sonos wireless network off of the Bridge? Alternatively, have you tried wiring one of your other Sonos devices into the network instead of the Bridge?

Setting aside the wireless, if this is only happening when your Beam is playing music when grouped with your Sonos players, it could be that the Autoplay is trigged on the Beam, causing it to stop playing the music and drop from the group. Have you tried turning off Autoplay on the Beam in the Sonos room settings to see if that prevents this issue? On the diagnostics you posted, there's an Autoplay enabled trigger within about 30-60 seconds of each diagnostic, which may be the issue you're seeing.

Sometimes TVs will auto turn on (with the video still off) to check for updates, which could trigger autoplay to turn on.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Thank Ryan,

I've tried all that

1) turned off autoplay first. Drop outs continued playing music and TV

2) Moved bridge further away from possible interference but same result as above

3) Plugged in a play 1 instead of bridge but same result as above, diagnostic 1661325392

4) Went wireless and the beam dropped off network completely, diagnostic 2077784749. I've unplugged the beam and powered back up but not appearing at all. It's the first time I've tried to run it off wifi. Could the wireless card be faulty and causing these other problems?

As I said, without the beam on my system and using the bridge, everything else works flawlessly with the worst thing that's happened over the last 6 months is that maybe once my speakers ungrouped.

My network is run off a Virgin Superhub 2 and has been for the last few years.

I raised a ticket on Thursday evening via email but haven't yet had a response so hope you can help as I love the sound and the look of it and I'm keen to get it mounted on my wall.

Cheers
Jacob
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the update. At this point, I think it'd be best to work with the team live.

The email support team is a bit behind at the moment, it's been very busy around here. But the best thing would be to give us a call on our support line and get this looked over. Based on those diagnostics, I don't think there's a problem with the wireless card on the Beam. When you had it and the Play:1 wired into the network, the Beam was the one that was controlling the network, not the Play:1. So everything was able to connect to it wirelessly.

In general, I'd suggest changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system to channel 11, but I don't think it'll help too much here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Thanks Ryan, I'll give them a call tomorrow but having switched the beam back on today I now can't see it at all and can't get it to connect. I'll plug it I to the router tonight to see if I have any luck.