Beam loses connection

• 17 February 2019
  • 2 replies

I have just purchased a Sonos Beam and have it connected to my Samsung TV via an Optical Cable using the Optical to HDMI adapter (because my ARC port is in use by a device, only have three HDMI on TV and they are all in use). The beam is in the same room as my router and Sonos Bridge (4-5mtrs away). I also have two Play 1's paired to the Beam for surround sound (they are a couple of years old).

The issue I am having is that every 2-3 days the Beam appears to lose connection to the network. It plays audio from the TV but we cannot change the volume with the TV remote and when we go in to the Sonos app, the room is missing.

We restart the Beam and everything works again. When we restart the Beam it also turns the TV off (remember connected by Optical no ARC).

I'm not sure where to start with troubleshooting, everything is up-to-date, WiFi signal is great and we have a good internet connection. Never had any issues with Sonos in other rooms disconnecting and needing to be rebooted. Any thoughts before I contact Sonos?

Thanks
David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hello there, dhodgson. Thanks for the detailed post! From the sounds of it, it seems that the connection between the Beam and the network is a bit shaky. That said, would you mind reproducing the problem and submitting a diagnostic report shortly after? Be sure to reply here with the confirmation number it gives at the end, and I'll be happy to take a closer look and get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have just purchased a Sonos Beam and have it connected to my Samsung TV via an Optical Cable using the Optical to HDMI adapter (because my ARC port is in use by a device, only have three HDMI on TV and they are all in use). The beam is in the same room as my router and Sonos Bridge (4-5mtrs away). I also have two Play 1's paired to the Beam for surround sound (they are a couple of years old).

The issue I am having is that every 2-3 days the Beam appears to lose connection to the network. It plays audio from the TV but we cannot change the volume with the TV remote and when we go in to the Sonos app, the room is missing.

We restart the Beam and everything works again. When we restart the Beam it also turns the TV off (remember connected by Optical no ARC).

I'm not sure where to start with troubleshooting, everything is up-to-date, WiFi signal is great and we have a good internet connection. Never had any issues with Sonos in other rooms disconnecting and needing to be rebooted. Any thoughts before I contact Sonos?

Thanks
David

Hi David,

Curious if you ever figured this out. A friend of mine has the exact same problem with her Beam. It goes off-line ever few days. Like you her router is sitting right next to the Beam. Play 1 in another room has never had a problem. I am going to bring over and ethernet cable and see if that solves the issue.