Answered

Beam : How to return to TV sound after streaming music?

Userlevel 1
Have my Beam set up with my Sony Bravia tv via Arc, sounding great.
If I then stream some music, I then can’t find how I revert back to the TV sound once the music is stopped,
I’m having to turn the TV on and off to get the sound back.
I bet I’m missing something obvious!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 17 July 2018, 19:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Would love to know how to do this, but I think it is not supported https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/switching-back-to-tv-audio-6809436
Userlevel 1
How do I do it in the app?
I can’t see where I can change the source to TV ?
Within the Sonos app, select the room that represents your Beam. Then click browse to get a listing of the audio sources you've setup. Towards the bottom of the list, you should see a line/tv source. Switching to that should revert the audio back to tv, without have to turn on/off the tv.

The post Daziel refered to was talking specifically about voice control. That voice control command doesn't exist because the available commands are essentially created by Amazon Alexa. Since such a command to switch audio source from music to tv doesn't make sense for an echo speaker, Amazon has yet to create it.
Userlevel 1
Thanks!
Knew it would be obvious in the end ☺️
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Someone has created a feature request asking for a voice command to be able to switch back to TV sound. See this topic to add your vote for this feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good news everyone, there's a command that's available which should have your Beam switch to using the TV audio input. Just ask: "Alexa, switch to TV." If that's not working right, you might need to target the room name: "Alexa, switch to TV on [room name]." But that targeting shouldn't be necessary.
Userlevel 1
Good news everyone, there's a command that's available which should have your Beam switch to using the TV audio input. Just ask: "Alexa, switch to TV." If that's not working right, you might need to target the room name: "Alexa, switch to TV on [room name]." But that targeting shouldn't be necessary.

I gave this a go Alexa replies with “I couldn’t find a device or group name in Paul’s profile”
Since TV is not an Alexa device it can’t be added to a group
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I gave this a go Alexa replies with “I couldn’t find a device or group name in Paul’s profile”
Since TV is not an Alexa device it can’t be added to a group

Same here "Alexa replies with “I couldn’t find a device or group name...."
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
To confirm, are you trying this command using a Beam that's working fine for other Alexa commands? If you are, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number after you've tried this command and had it fail?

Also, are both of you using Amazon Fire TVs that have the Beam set up as a device linked to control it?
Userlevel 1
Hi, yes doing this on a Beam, I am able to control volume, turn tv on and off etc using Alexa commands.

I’ve submitted diagnostics, number is 556120649
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, did you also go through the steps to configure the Beam to act as an Alexa device for an Amazon Fire TV or do you not have one of those?
Userlevel 1
No I don’t have an Amazon Fire TV
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
To confirm, are you trying this command using a Beam that's working fine for other Alexa commands? If you are, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number after you've tried this command and had it fail?

Also, are both of you using Amazon Fire TVs that have the Beam set up as a device linked to control it?

Using a Beam, other functions and Alexa commands that I tried are working fine. Diagnostics number 1728301428.

Alexa commands for Fire TV work fine for me (but I want to be able to switch the audio back to the currently selected non-Fire TV, e.g Blue-Ray or terrestrial).
Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks. Go ahead and try the "Alexa, discover devices" command again, and see if this switch to TV will work after. This is a pretty new command still in the early testing, so please pardon the dust while they get it sorted out. A good thing to check is that you don't have any other smart devices called TV or with the same name as your Sonos Beam. It may help to change the name of the Sonos room, and re-discover devices. Otherwise, I'd suggest trying it a little later, as it will likely improve over time as the command is used more. These functions are added over cloud updates, so you wouldn't see software changes on your end, it'd just start working better or differently.

Also, please remember that this command should take the Beam from playing music (such as through the Sonos app or Alexa) and have it switch to the Sonos TV input, instead of using the Sonos app, or by turning the TV off for 15 seconds and then back on. This command won't change the inputs on the TV or other sources, just the Beam.
I can play my music via the soundbar connected to my TV. How do I turn the TV sound back on when I've finished?
I managed to get it to work by saying "Alexa, switch {room name} to TV". I couldn't get it to work any other way other than using the app.
Userlevel 1
Cool will keep trying
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I managed to get it to work by saying "Alexa, switch {room name} to TV". I couldn't get it to work any other way other than using the app.

Thanks for sharing!

I can play my music via the soundbar connected to my TV. How do I turn the TV sound back on when I've finished?

I merged your question to this thread, since it's the same question 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Had success with this new command! Glad to see this!

Just as a note, in case it matters, my Beam is connected to my TV via HDMI, so I can also give commands like "Alexa, turn on (or off) the TV". Not sure if that might play a factor.
Userlevel 1
Badge
To answer the original question of how to turn the TV sound back on:

Pause or stop the music that is playing out of the Beam
Use the remote for your TV and hit the volume button (up or down).
TV sound comes back.
Userlevel 1
To answer the original question of how to turn the TV sound back on:

Pause or stop the music that is playing out of the Beam
Use the remote for your TV and hit the volume button (up or down).
TV sound comes back.

Have tried this, no joy.

Think I’m going to remove all my devices and add them back into the system one at a time
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Works for me, thanks! 😃
I picked up a beam on release day but am having all sorts of trouble with Alexa and my LG TV.

For starters it will switch my LG TV on but not off, I'm not too fussed about this but would be good if fixed.

The bigger problem is around getting the beam to work when turning the TV on. If I ask Alexa to switch to TV Room, I usually get one of three replies

"Sorry tv room is not responding"

"I couldn't find a name or group in Ross profile"

"I don't know how to set tv room to that setting"

I then have to go into the Sonos app where I can see TV Room listed as no music selected and click on it to get the beam to start with the TV.

I've checked through all the alexa settings and watched numerous videos online but still no luck.

Cheers in advance,
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Try "Alexa, switch {room name} to TV", also renaming the room sometimes helps.
I have had the same issue. The only command that works for me is “alexa, switch (room name) to TV”