Answered

Beam as a computer speaker

Is it possible to use Beam as a computer speaker with the use of hdmi port?
icon

Best answer by MikeV 20 June 2018, 11:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I just connected my Sonos Beam to my PC - works like a charm with the Realtek Patch/Unlocker for Dolby Digital 5.1 and optical out on my MSI Mortar Titanium motherboard. The sound if just AMAZING. I’m blown away while gaming :-) Thank you Sonos!

I just connected my Sonos Beam to my PC - works like a charm with the Realtek Patch/Unlocker for Dolby Digital 5.1 and optical out on my MSI Mortar Titanium motherboard. The sound if just AMAZING. I’m blown away while gaming :-) Thank you Sonos!

Looks amazing!

im thinking about doing a similar setup, but i wonder: with the placement you have on the play one’s, do you just use them as an extra set of stero speakers in a different “room”, and then group the “rooms” to listen to all speakers? Or are they setup as rears?

regards

I am looking to do something similar. However I want a TV wall mounted and the beam connected to both the TV and PC so they can be used independently. Would a small spliter work with this. 

Remember, the Beam plays an HDMI ARC signal, and not an HDMI signal. Most PCs don’t send an HDMI ARC signal, that usually requires a TV’s electronics. You could use an HDMI switch with an optical output though, and connect to the Beam using the optical to HDMI ARC adapter that comes with the Beam.

Thanks, I know that, what I want it's to be able to play say YouTube audio or other non music services from pc to beam, but also have a connection to the TV. So I can listen to stuff on pc without having the TV on. 

So, if you run your PC to the TV, it would work, if you’re sending a Dolby Digital signal. No, a splitter would not work, the PC is not generating an ARC signal. 

Could the pc be wired through optical to spliter and hdmi arc from TV to spliter and the spliter into the beam? Don't want the TV to have to be on when on pc 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Could the pc be wired through optical to spliter and hdmi arc from TV to spliter and the spliter into the beam? Don't want the TV to have to be on when on pc 

No. The TV generates the HDMI-ARC signal, the PC does not and no splitter does (right now).

Looks amazing!

im thinking about doing a similar setup, but i wonder: with the placement you have on the play one’s, do you just use them as an extra set of stero speakers in a different “room”, and then group the “rooms” to listen to all speakers? Or are they setup as rears?

regards

Hi there, I use them as an extra set of stereo speakers. So I don’t group the rooms.

Here’s the latest status of my upgraded build: