Question

Beam and Dolby Digital.

Badge

Hello!

So im running a beam, sub 3gen and 2x play:1 as my living room setup.

When I switched from PCM to Dolby Digital 5.1 on my SamsungTV the speech in Tv-dialogues became much lower compared to when Im using PCM, even though I’m using speech enhancing option.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Peroherox.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask some questions to better understand the situation.

• Since when did this issue start?
  • Were there any changes made prior it was still working and the moment it stopped working?
  • Since the audio format has already been set from PCM to Dolby Digital 5.1, can we try rebooting the TV and Sonos (TV first ) and then check if the issue still occurs?
  • Do we have surround audio even if the TV audio format is set to PCM?
  • What is the source of the Video? Can we try a regular cable program if the issue still persist?
  • Can we try the TV in-apps movie source like Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, etc to check if they all produce the same issue?
  • Can we submit a diagnostic in each test for us to check what is going on with the Sonos system at each change?

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

@Paul A Thanks for the answer!

The issue started when i switched from PCM to Dolby Digital (DD) which is like a month ago. I’ve tried to reboot the Sonos-system and the TV-system and it made no changes. If i switch back to PCM I have some surround, but not at the same level as with DD. I also enjoy the sound from DD compared to PCM. Regarding TV-apps, the issue is most noticable when I its DD 5.1 sound ie Netlix. But when I get DD 2.0 from swedish TV-apps the speech volume is more in line with rest of the sound. I’ll send diagnostics. Heres three i sent:

Sorry for any grammar issues, but i don’t speak english regulary. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Peroherox.

Thanks for your immediate and detailed response and for submitting diagnostics.

I would like to share with you the content of the provided diagnostics.

• Confirmation number 2058281711 is showing that the Sonos Beam to be receiving a 5.1 codec signal from the TV.
  • Confirmation number 2088563215 is also showing that the Sonos Beam is also receiving a 5.1 codec audio format from the TV.
  • Confirmation number 1153057142 and 916145974 is showing that the Sonos Beam is receiving a 2.0 signal codec from the TV.

However, even if the top 2 diagnostic confirmation number is showing to have a 5.1 codec signal from the TV, the surrounds and the Sonos Sub are not playing the codec from the TV. All of the confirmation numbers are also showing wireless interference on the Sonos Beam.

• I would like to ask if we can check the HDMI connection on the Sonos Beam and on the TV. Can we try to unplug and plug it back and make sure it fits snug.
  • I would also like to ask for the TV make and model so we can check our articles if we have any known issues with the TV or workaround. 
  • I would also like to ask if we can double-check to make sure that the Sonos Beam is connected to the HDMI-ARC port on the TV.
  • We also want to make sure that the router’s (airtime fairness feature is disabled).
  • I would also like to recommend remove and re-add surrounds on the Sonos app.
  • We may also want to consider remove and re-add Sub on the Sonos app.
  • Once everything has been done we may want to submit a diagnostic to check if there were improvements seen on the Sonos system.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Badge

@Paul A

Thx for the answer!

All steps you’ve named have been checked and done. I have also disabled airtime fairness on the 2.4Ghz network which the sonos system is using. I’ve readded both the sub and the surrond system. I removed the HDMI from its connection both in the TV and the Beam and reconnected them.

The new diagnostics is 46396459

TV model is: Samsung Q60 Series (55) QE55Q64RATXXC. 

EDIT*

I also changed the 2.4GHz network to channel 6 instead of automatic. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Peroherox.

Thanks for submitting a diagnostic, following the recommendation, and for your immediate response. 

Based on the provided diagnostic, The Sonos Beam is still receiving a 5.1 signal codec from the TV however it does not show any information that the Sonos system was rebooted.

I would like to recommend unplugging the Sonos Beam from power and plug it back after 10-15 seconds. Once the Sonos Beam has a solid white light, unplug and plug back into power after 10-15 seconds the Sub and the 2 surround speakers. It does not matter which comes first the sub or the surrounds however what matters is that the Sonos Beam is rebooted first and has a solid white light before rebooting the sub and surrounds. Then let us observe and submit another diagnostic to check how the Sonos behaves. Please double check that the HDMI where the beam is plugged into is labeled the HDMI ARC and not the regular HDMI as it would not work.

I hope this would be the final step.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi @Paul A 

So I just did the whole unplug-thingy and sent a new diagnostic. Since the TV recognizes the Sonos-system i’m quite sure i’m using the ARC-connection :) I did double check again, and its still correct.

The new diagnostic is: 140483368

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @Peroherox.

Thanks for the immediate response and for submitting another diagnostic.

The diagnostic submitted shows  Sonos Beam is still receiving a 5.1 signal codec from the TV and has already been rebooted but still the same situation. The Sonos Beam is the only device of the home theater system that plays and the rest (sub and surrounds) are not. I would like to recommend to contact our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step as we have already tried all the basics and yet to no avail. They may be able to help out via screen sharing (with your approval) and check the router settings as there might be something in the setting that prevents broadcasting on a Home theater setup.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi @Paul A 

The thing is that since I rebooted the system I can notice a difference. I also re-trueplayed and there was a difference. And my surround seems to play surround when I’m watching 5.1 content, same as the sub.

but I’ll contact the support tomorrow!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @Peroherox.

Thanks for the immediate response

Thanks for considering the recommendation. I would personally like to know what would be their final solution is resolving this concern and for other members of the community that are also looking for answers that they may find the resolution helpful.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi @Paul A 

I spoke to the support and sent a new diagnostic. He saw nothing wrong with the system. About the speech he said that it’s a know issue and will be addressed in a update In the future.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Peroherox.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I would like to suggest subscribing to this thread and to our announcement topic so that once there is an update, You would know what features have been released and what bugs have been fixed.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a new topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,