Audio Dropping Out

• 14 July 2017
  • 8 replies

I have a new Playbar connected to a Sony XBR55X900E using FiOS as my TV provider. The playbar is connected with the included optical audio cable. I have updated the TV to the latest software and firmware version. I get intermittent and persistent audio cutting out when watching live TV, DVR, and Netflix and YouTube. There are no issues when using the playbar to stream music through the Sonos controller app. When the audio cuts out, I can pause the program and then press play and the audio comes back for a short time (typically anout 2 minutes) before the audio drops again. I ran a diagnostic after it happened a few times tonight. 7605104. Would love to be able to fix this before Game of Thrones on Sunday!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge
I have a similar problem. I have a 2017 Vizio tv connected to a Sonos playbar via cable box as input.. when watching a show the sound will cut off. Turning the tv off and back on will restore the sound. It can happen every 10 minutes or every hour. It seems to happen when going from a commercial back to the show. I called vizio support and they had me factory reset the tv. I also changed the optical cable. The problem still occurs and is unresolved. The next step is to determine if the probe occurs using a different input (blue ray, internet, etc.). I'm viewing a Netflix show now and it hasn't happened I an hour....
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am having the same problem since the last software update on the playbar.
Badge +2
I have the same problem with a Vizio tv, Fios, optical cable: some stations volume cuts out for a second or two, or the sound decreases when using tv and/or Netflix. I adjusted the Fios and tv audio to "fixed" in an effort to correct the volume problem, but 2 days later the volume decreased again. This requires daily adjustment on the playbar volume switch. Any of the mods have a solution? Thanks.
STILL NO FIX IN SIGHT!! Got off the horn with Sonos today and they are aware of the problem and is waiting for Verizon to issue and update for their STB. I was recommended to contact Verizon Fios about the issue and when I did, they expressed that they know about it and is still working on a solution. To avoid the sound cut outs I had to do this:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4298/~/verizon-fios-vms1100-playbar-and-playbase-supported-settings

If this issue isn't fixed by the end of my contract, I'm leaving Verizon or maybe upgrading to a different audio system. Its ridiculous this issue hasn't been fixed in all this time... Now i have to settle for PCM audio output... SMH
I was experiencing a similar issue after switching from Comcast to FIOS. I never had an issue with Comcast. Immediately had an issue with FIOS. Spent over an hour on the phone with a FIOS tech.

Fixed my issue. Note I have the VMS1100 set top box (STB).

Here’s what we did and sorry we did it all at once so I’m not sure the exact cause.

First, unplug everything from the FIOS router. Reset it. Have Verizon send a refresh signal to the STB. Plug that back in (there is a little hub of sorts that plugs into the router). Once the internet is back and tv is back, start plugging any other ethernets, including other wireless routers into the Verizon router. Next, and I think this may have been were the issue was, make sure the SONOS is on the same network as the Verizon STB. I have eero. I had SONOS connecting to eero, now connects to the FIOS wireless LAN and have no issue.

I’ll also note (since the STB was reset above) I did not change any of the default audio settings like others suggested. I had tried that previously and didn’t have any luck.

Again my hunch is that the SONOS were on a different LAN than the STB. Not sure why that would have made a difference and was skeptical when I began working with the tech from Verizon but it’s been a week and the problem has yet to return.
Badge +2
Thanks for your detailed fix. I posted 11 months ago and still have the same audio issue. I have a boost connected to the Fios router, rebooted but it did not correct. Also tried to change audio on set top box from variable to stable and back again. Hey sonos tech guys, what’s the fix on this ?
I am having the same problem but am not on FIOS. This started after I restarted my router and add to add the playbar back to my Sonos iOS app. Please help!
Badge +2
No response from Sonos support...how can I get this issue corrected?