Answered

Atmos works intermittently w/ Xbox Series X

• 30 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I’ve a Vizio P75Q9-J01, an Arc soundbar, and an Xbox Series X. All are Atmos compatible, and the Arc is hooked up to the TV’s eARC, the Xbox is hooked up to the TV’s 4K/120Hz input, and I’ve all certified HDMI 2.1 cables. No receiver…

Occasionally I get no sound w/ the XSX set to Atmos(TV set to auto), sometimes I get it w/ the sound cutting out continually for a split second, sometimes I can only get sound at all from rebooting the XSX a couple of times, and sometimes the XSX powers up and plays Atmos fine on the first attempt(Atmos verified thru the Sonos app). No idea why it’s always so unpredictable other than people posting that it’s a codec compatibility issue, but no one seem to know who has to adjust-Vizio, Microsoft, or Sonos.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 30 July 2022, 23:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

What other options do you have for the Digital Audio Out setting on the TV other than Auto? Do you have any issues when you play non-Atmos content? Have you tried using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Badge

I’ve digital and LCPM. Sometimes I’ve to toggle them for Atmos to work. No issues w/ non-Atmos content, or Atmos w/ any other device(streaming, blu-ray, etc). I can get sound w/ any other sound format no problem, but it’s the Atmos w/ Xbox that gives the Sonos trouble(intermittently). I had the same problem w/ the Arc’s HDMI cable, I even tried the Zeskit Maya certified, premium 2.1 cable. Other threads/forums are claiming that they the codecs between the devices are different and don’t play nice w/ each other. The codec that Xbox uses for Atmos is different, and even though my TV does Atmos, my best guess is that it can’t pass Xbox codec for Atmos or something. 

Userlevel 7

Based on the manual, I would keep the setting set to Digital.

The Xbox does use Dolby MAT to play Atmos audio so your TV may just have issues passing Dolby MAT.

Badge

At this point in my extensive research, I’d say your explanation seems to be the consensus.