At a loss, system won't update/connect

• 15 November 2020
  • 10 replies

We had the Playbar, Sub and Move all setup nicely, then one day nothing worked.

I’ve tried literally everything to get the system to work :(

IOS app:

!
Update problem
there was a problem during the update of your Sonos system.

Select ‘Try again’ to repeat the update.

Doesn’t work.

Error 1101

– Followed ALL steps, several times over.
– Ethernet AND wifi connected, same issue.

Mac OSX app:

Same issue as above.

Wifi and Ethernet are working sweet, 3-400mb/s on Wifi and 900mb+ on ethernet.

No idea what to do, getting ready to throw it all in the trash :(

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Unplug all Sonos devices from power. While they are unplugged, reboot the router. Once the router comes back up, cable one device to your router with Ethernet, then plug it in. Plug in the rest of the Sonos devices. Try the update.

If you’re still having issues, check to see that you’re not running a VPN, or firewall software that could be blocking access of the speakers when they try to reach the Sonos servers. Note that the controller, whether the iOS app or the Mac app is merely a display for the Sonos application that is really running on the Sonos hardware, so it isn’t surprising at all that both devices are showing the same thing.

If, however, you continue to have issues connecting, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up. The concern about this, however, is that the speakers will try to submit the diagnostic on Sonos’ servers. If there’s something blocking them from reaching that location, it may fail, in which case your best bet would be a call to Sonos. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Unplug all Sonos devices from power. While they are unplugged, reboot the router. Once the router comes back up, cable one device to your router with Ethernet, then plug it in. Plug in the rest of the Sonos devices. Try the update.

If you’re still having issues, check to see that you’re not running a VPN, or firewall software that could be blocking access of the speakers when they try to reach the Sonos servers. Note that the controller, whether the iOS app or the Mac app is merely a display for the Sonos application that is really running on the Sonos hardware, so it isn’t surprising at all that both devices are showing the same thing.

If, however, you continue to have issues connecting, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up. The concern about this, however, is that the speakers will try to submit the diagnostic on Sonos’ servers. If there’s something blocking them from reaching that location, it may fail, in which case your best bet would be a call to Sonos. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Thank you, I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I’ve tried all of the suggestions and nothing works. I just updated to Big Sur and my supposition is that there is an incompatibility with the new Mac operating system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Ratfish Did you talk to Sonos?

Still not working my end.

When I open the older Sonos S1 app, it connects to the Playbar but won’t play as it’s software is too advanced (Playbar).

Back to S2, it’s connected but Playbar needs updating. It’s connected via ethernet, but will not update. Same error as above. Over and over.

Every time I try to change anything on settings (which there isn’t many options) I have to log in to connect my account (over and over and over again).

I will try and contact Sonos during the week, I just have limited time in the evenings to troubleshoot :(

My system is now working. I downloaded the new S2 app on my phone and then used it to update Sonos. When I opened Sonos on my Mac, I was told my old S1 was incompatible with my machine and that I needed to download S2 on my computer. After I did that, all my music and settings were transferred to the new app. I deleted S1 and all is well.

We’ve moved house now, so new router, new internet connection etc etc.

Reset the Playbar and Sub so started as a new system with my current login.

Same issues, same errors.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Firstly I managed to get the Playbar to work, but not the sub. App could see the sub, but when verifying the App version that’s when it all goes South. I think this is a ridiculous way to add speakers, should be able to add them without verifying update, then update once connected.

I see Sonos contact centre is open with GMT hours, so might try them tonight (10pm our time :/ ).

--

Tried again, reset all. Added the Playbar, then get an error when ‘Updating your account (linking products to your Sonos account). Says there’s no internet connection. The system is connected via ethernet – which works.

Sigh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think the need to verify the update is there because your system needs to be on the same version as the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any filtering on your Ethernet, either local or upstream?

I know my Sonos has issues with my DNS filtering service unless I tell it to pass the required sites.

Spent a couple of hours on the phone to Sonos support yesterday, didn’t get anywhere. Getting the error code 800 now, over and over again, Sonos have only seen one other error 800 and that was yesterday as well! No solution just yet, sitting tight and waiting.