Question

Arc with Amp-powered in-ceiling rear speakers - impact on Atmos?

• 11 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I currently have two in-ceiling speakers installed in my basement to the rear of my couch, which I intend to use for a home theatre. I was considering the Sonos Arc given its support for Dolby Atmos at a reasonable price. However, I was wondering if using the in-ceiling speakers in tandem with the Arc for surrounds would have an enhancing effect, negligible difference or an adverse impact. My worry is that the in-ceiling speakers may interfere with the up-firing speakers on the Arc… is this something that Trueplay will calibrate for? I am aware that the Dolby setup guide recommends surrounds on the same level as the side channels, but just checking if anyone has had direct experience with it.

Additionally, my in-ceiling speakers are slightly offset and the TV does not sit perfectly between them on the left/right plane. Would that suggest that their use as surrounds may be sub-optimal?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Did you find your answer? I have the same exact question. Wondering if I should switch beam out for an arc. Worried the in cieling speakers would do it a disservice.

Nothing yet and I've definitely asked around. Seems like no one is really opting for this kind of setup. I might just do it and see how it goes. Not a huge audiophile either way.

Userlevel 7

Hi @hotdoghero @Seabass1992 

The FAQ’s for the Arc indicate that in-ceiling speakers can be used as surrounds with no exception indicated for Dolby Atmos material. However, I would recommend using Sonos In-Ceiling speakers by Sonance powered by a Sonos Amp.  The Sonos Amp and Sonos branded in-ceiling speakers are the only combination that will lend themselves to TruePlay tuning. 

Cheers!