Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

749 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ok very disappointing that the fix that @Krishma M had suggested with updating the TV firmware has not worked for two people already.  @Krishma M can you please have Sonos release something….Sonos….Please?

I was planning on buying the arc and LG C9 but postponed it because of this issue.

The temporary solution given for LG and arc right now is:

“When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.”

What type of output do you get with this setup? Do you get Dolby Digital +? What about if you use the optical connection?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Just to let you know that eARC should always be enabled if possible to get the most out of the Sonos Arc. Since we’re still working on a fix and if your TV is having trouble when eARC is enabled and you're using streaming services like Netflix, you can disable the eARC from the TV settings because the streaming audio will still be compressed and you'll still get Atmos. For 4k Bluray or any hard media plugged in directly to the TV and has Atmos, always enable eARC because eARC always looks for uncompressed audio. 

Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

I’ll chime in too - I have an LG B9 OLED and have been experiencing this same issue. I especially notice it with DD+ content from the built-in Amazon Prime app. Hope that a fix is in the works...

Badge +1

@Krishma M 

Is disabling the eARC solves the issue on the Sony XBR 950G ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Krishma M

Is disabling the eARC solves the issue on the Sony XBR 950G ?

No it doesn’t.. I have the same.

Badge +1

I have a LG UN8500 and having drop outs like others on this thread. I’ve been trying to figure it out for a few nights now and it’s driving me crazy. It reads like the others here, and I submitted 159989773. Is there any eta to fixing this? It’s super frustrating!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I have a LG UN8500 and having drop outs like others on this thread. I’ve been trying to figure it out for a few nights now and it’s driving me crazy. It reads like the others here, and I submitted 159989773. Is there any eta to fixing this? It’s super frustrating!

Nope.. no fix so far. All brands of tv’s are having issues( but not everyone) . 

Badge +1

That’s disappointing! I just submitted another diagnostic (1737454426) because it did it about 5-9 times in less than 45 seconds. It’s incredibly frustrating. What’s everyone else doing to deal with it? Sorry if it’s posted here, I’ve just read so many things over the last week then seen unsuccessful results in the end. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

That’s disappointing! I just submitted another diagnostic (1737454426) because it did it about 5-9 times in less than 45 seconds. It’s incredibly frustrating. What’s everyone else doing to deal with it? Sorry if it’s posted here, I’ve just read so many things over the last week then seen unsuccessful results in the end. 

Mine acts up every 7 days or so. I reset my tv to get it fixed. I write the dates it happens to keep record in case I need it later on.

Badge +1

Mine acts up every 7 days or so. I reset my tv to get it fixed. I write the dates it happens to keep record in case I need it later on.

I wish! It happens within an hour of resetting my TV. It happens non stop when it starts, it’s almost like it degrades quickly. Resetting the TV will clear it up, but having to do it 3 times in a movie is aggravating. However, it sounds so good when it works!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

@tjleonard Do you reset the TV and the arc? Do you reset it by taking out the plug?  I know this is very frustrating but for mine to “get fixed for several days”, I need to physically pull out the plug or turn off the fuse.  Resetting via the app/remote doesn’t do much for me.

Badge +1

@tjleonard Do you reset the TV and the arc? Do you reset it by taking out the plug?  I know this is very frustrating but for mine to “get fixed for several days”, I need to physically pull out the plug or turn off the fuse.  Resetting via the app/remote doesn’t do much for me.

I reset my tv by unplugging it for about 15 seconds.

Resetting just the arc by unplugging that doesn’t help (that I’ve noticed). It’s also possible I’m just getting lucky on unplugging the TV. 

I should also note, doesn’t seem to occur when playing music via the sonos app from a mobile device, this issue is only occuring via the TV when directly connected via eArc HDMI.

It doesn’t matter what audio source, streaming or live tv via direct antenna, the result is the same. 

Perhaps it has to do with the device coming out of low power mode

Ironically, I have had no issues with the TV sound on my TCL Series 6. But I am having all sorts of cut out issues streaming Sirius XM. Go figure.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Maybe SONOS should hire or consult with Apple software engineers. Apple had a software 14.0.1 update a few weeks ago which caused an issue where incoming caller Id  didn’t work. All calls stated they were from the United States. Big issue for most. However, within a short couple of weeks , Apple had a new update that fixed this issue. Why is it so hard to get this Arc issue resolved with SONOS. 

Badge +1

Maybe SONOS should hire or consult with Apple software engineers. Apple had a software 14.0.1 update a few weeks ago which caused an issue where incoming caller Id  didn’t work. All calls stated they were from the United States. Big issue for most. However, within a short couple of weeks , Apple had a new update that fixed this issue. Why is it so hard to get this Arc issue resolved with SONOS. 

I find it crazy that it’s been a bug for this long and there is no word or ETA (not even a rough estimate) for a fix. 

Badge

Hello all,

I received my white Sonos ARC 3 days ago. It ran awesome today morning!

Sound cutting in and out while watching movies on Netflix. I was earlier getting Dolby Atmos (DD+) but today evening when I turn off my tv and turned back again sound started cutting off on Arc. My TV model is Samsung 2019 Q70R. 

I went to sound settings it only showed me the option of PCM with DD and DD+ greyed out. Earlier it was DD+ when it was working correctly. In the app, it shows Audio In Silence instead of DD+. I have no other devices connected from HDMI to my TV. 

Can someone help me? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Confirming that after a week on the new 1402 firmware for my Frame TV, my Sonos Arc still has the awful cutout problem.  I now have to unplug and plug in the Arc EVERY TIME I WANT TO WATCH TV!!!  And hope it lasts through the duration of the show I’m watching.

What was supposed to be a showcase system of high investment is now a frustrating waste of money.  SONOS - WAKE UP!!!!  YOU HAVE A MASSIVE FAILURE ON YOUR HANDS!!  AND I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE FAILURE MOUNTED UNDER MY BEAUTIFUL TV!!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Here’s my workaround to not have to dig into the cabinet to unplug my Arc and plug it in again every time I watch to clear the sound dropping problem.  SmartThings plug on the Arc. I can tell google to turn it off and then turn it on.  Has it really come to this????

I have the same problem with my Arc setup (2nd gen Sub, Two ones, Ethernet to Arc) and a Samsung Q900  (2018). As with many QLED Samsung TV’s mine has a so-called One Connect Box to which you connect your devices. It is a box separate from the TV unit to limit the number of cables to the TV to one (or two in some cases). My specific model had an upgraded One Connect Box released in 2019 so I have two one Connect Boxes (one with, and one without an hdmi 2.1 port). Ironically, I only have this problem with the new one connect box (with hdmi 2.1, although this is not the arc port. My TV does not support eARC). Due to this problem I have had a Samsung mechanic over who replaced the optic cable from the TV to the one connect box and the complete interior of the one connect box. Although the problem did not occur for two weeks, I noticed the problem again today. Pulling the power from the Sonos Arc and reconnecting it solved the problem for now. 

So, I’m not sure how many people with 2018 model Samsung QLED’s have this problem compared to people with 2019 models but at least in my case something in the hardware of my new one connect box decreased compatibility with the Arc. 

I reported this same drop out problem with my LG C9, Arc, One SL and sub (3) system on this thread some 6 weeks or so. Initially I had an ethernet connection to my Arc. The problem was resolved when I added a second ethernet connection to one of the One SLs. I have not had one sound drop out in the six weeks or so since I did this. They were occurring frequently beforehand. Is it possible that others reporting on this thread might be experiencing (presumably) the wi-fi connection issues I was experiencing ? Very pleased with the system. The sound is superb.

Same problem here with the 2020 frame TV. Please fix SONOs!!

Same issue as all with a 2020 Frame.  Replying to post to see when the fix comes!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi

I see all these threads about audio dropping but most seem to be short sound drops, in my case I have complete audio dropping and not coming back.

Anyone with the same issue, perhaps report it in here.

I have the LG CX and I lose sound all together when changing between sources, this can be simply exiting the Netflix app back to live TV or turning on my xbox and not having an audio outputting, all very random when it occurs.

Various things can bring back the audio, simple on/off off tv, or switching back and forth between sources.

So if anyone else has the same issue, I would love to hear, because I worry that I’m alone with this and it may be a hardware issue.

I’m getting a bit fed up with this issue, had the ARC nearly 3 months and just want to be sure its something that others experience, I don't mind waiting for a fix if that’s the case.

What you are describing is really close to what im experiencing.

I have a sonos arc with surrounds (ones) hooked up to a LG B9 and I have two problems - one with eARC and one with “normal” hdmi arc.  

When i have eARC enabled i lose sound when switching between cable and the native apps or between the native apps. Its random and i cant force it. In short its exactly as you describe but i dont use other sources than the tv (so cable and native apps). Sometimes i can get it back when i toggle eARC on and off, sometimes i have to turn off the tv and sometime i have to cut the power. 

When i toggle eARC off i dont have the problem with sound disappearing completly but i do experience small audio drops when watching mostly streaming (netflix and other native apps). This also happens at random. 

I have absolutly no idea if its a software or hardware issue but i have no fix. Ive tried 3 different hdmi cables, using wifi, using ethernet and nothing works.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I reporting the same issue on the Sony A9G, connected on earc with the Arc connected to ethernet.

Initally I thought it might be TV related; well we have now seen reports on Sony, Samsung and LG devices. Then I thought it might be OS related; well we have seen reports on TVs running

Android TV - Sony A9G

Samsung’s Tizen platform - Q80R

webOS - LG C9

So all of this still tends me to think this is an issue with the Sonos ARC.