Answered

Arc sounding tinny after TruePlay with iPhone 12 mini

• 11 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an iPhone 12 mini. I have true-played with the iPhone 2-3 times now. My ARC just sounding very tinny now, has anyone else had this issue? are the newer iPhones an issue when true-playing?

icon

Best answer by James L. 12 March 2021, 10:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Mitchellsx, thanks for reaching out.

I’m not sure exactly what could be causing the undesirable result after Trueplay Tuning, but I can provide some advice to get the best sound from the tuning process.

• Reduce background noise - Try to limit any external sound or loud noises such as talking during the tuning process. It may be beneficial to also temporarily power off devices such as fans and air conditioners. You should also consider temporarily powering off ultrasonic devices such as animal deterrents if applicable.
  • Cover as much area as possible - During the tuning process, try to cover as much of the room as possible. For smaller rooms, you can alternatively cover only where you will be listening primarily.
  • Moving the iOS device - Make smooth and steady movements of your iPhone from head to waist during the tuning process. The movement should not be too fast.
  • Do not adjust the volume - During the tuning process, do not adjust the volume of the speakers. Any adjustments to the volume may cause undesired results.

If the sound is still not to your liking, you could add further fine-tuning through the EQ. The EQ settings work alongside the Trueplay profile.

• From the Settings tab, tap System.
  • Tap the room the speaker is located in.
  • Tap EQ, and then drag the sliders to make adjustments.

Alternatively, have you tried tuning with another iOS device? Does the end result sound different? Let me know how you get on.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @Mitchellsx, thanks for reaching out.

I’m not sure exactly what could be causing the undesirable result after Trueplay Tuning, but I can provide some advice to get the best sound from the tuning process.

• Reduce background noise - Try to limit any external sound or loud noises such as talking during the tuning process. It may be beneficial to also temporarily power off devices such as fans and air conditioners. You should also consider temporarily powering off ultrasonic devices such as animal deterrents if applicable.
  • Cover as much area as possible - During the tuning process, try to cover as much of the room as possible. For smaller rooms, you can alternatively cover only where you will be listening primarily.
  • Moving the iOS device - Make smooth and steady movements of your iPhone from head to waist during the tuning process. The movement should not be too fast.
  • Do not adjust the volume - During the tuning process, do not adjust the volume of the speakers. Any adjustments to the volume may cause undesired results.

If the sound is still not to your liking, you could add further fine-tuning through the EQ. The EQ settings work alongside the Trueplay profile.

• From the Settings tab, tap System.
  • Tap the room the speaker is located in.
  • Tap EQ, and then drag the sliders to make adjustments.

Alternatively, have you tried tuning with another iOS device? Does the end result sound different? Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for the reply, I think truplay seems to have an issue with newer iPhones 11 and 12 etc, it always seems to produce similar results. I’ve done the options you have said but still get the same results.

im going to try an older iPhone as I’ve heard they produce better results. This shouldn’t be the case though and Sonos need to look into this I think.

thanks

Badge

Hi, 

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an iPhone 12 mini. I have true-played with the iPhone 2-3 times now. My ARC just sounding very tinny now, has anyone else had this issue? are the newer iPhones an issue when true-playing?

I just posted the same observation and it turns out that there was a previous discussion on this that has since been locked.

I really thought the problem was with my Playbase because I didn’t realize that the tinny sound was caused by a retune using my iPhone 11 Pro. 

When I retuned using my wife’s iPhone XS, the sound was much better. 

Still, I have decided to switch off Trueplay as I feel I am getting better results by manually adjusting the EQ, surround and Sub settings.