ARC over cat6

• 24 January 2019
  • 17 replies

How to send ARC from tv to amp over cat6.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

I've seen HDMI to CAT5 before, but I've never seen a HDMI-ARC to CAT5 adapter before. But that's what you'd be looking for, if it even exists. Which I doubt. The thing you need to remember is that the HDMI-ARC uses different 'pins' than regular HDMI audio does.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Another question: why? Is there some reason you can't use an HDMI cable?
Thanks for replies, much appreciated! The house was prewired and now the walls are closed with only cat6 cables at the tv location. All the equipment is remotely located on a rack in the Basement. There is no way of getting a wire there now, so trying to use what’s there. How about using an optical over cat6 converter? Then I can use the optical out from the tv and the optical to hdmi dongle to the amp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I assume there is an HDMI cable to the TV from the rack (else how would it display anything?), so you could take the optical output from the TV and route that back over cat6 to the rack where I assume the amp is. An spdif balun on each end of the cat6 would do. But then why not just take the spdif straight out of the back of the receiver that I assume is in the rack and put that in the Amp?

If I misunderstood what you are trying to do, please post a diagram as it really isn't clear from your description.

From everything you have said, ARC is not an option unless your receiver supports it. (Again, assuming there is a receiver in here somewhere).
Agree with @ControlAV. I get that you see ARC over Cat6 as a possible solution, but if you describe the problem you want to solve a little better, perhaps there is another solution.

Are there existing speakers in the room with the TV that you want to play TV audio through? Are you TV video sources located in that TV room or down in the basement with the other equipment. What existing AV equipment is in place?
Don’t mind my crude drawing, but hopefully it brings some clarity. We are using an hdmi over cat6 converter for the hdmi connection from the cable box to the tv. We are not using a receiver. We are trying to setup the 4.1 surround with the Sonos Amp for the fronts and the connect amp for the rears. The only issue we are have is getting the audio from the tv to the SONOS amp.
Why don't you just insert an HDMI switch that does HDMI-ARC, and put it where your cable box is? Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Tensun-Optical-Wireless-Supports-Blue-ray/dp/B0761S3F9X

Which you could then connect your Sonos Amp to using HDMI, since the switch box is set up to do HDMI-ARC.
Hmmm. That doesn't give you an output to send to the projector. Ignore my suggestion.
But something like that could provide you an optical output to feed the separately purchased optical to HDMI-ARC adapter that Sonos sells, that you could then plug in to the Sonos Amp.
Thanks Bruce, that’s what I’m going to try. Do you recommend any specific optical over cat5 extender? Your help has been much appreciated!!
Sorry, no, I’ve got no familiarity with them.
All good, I found one. Will post the result regardless.
Hey All.

I am trying to do the same setup. Stereo sound using only the AMP ( Sonos), no AVR,no HDMI matrix, and Trying to send ARC audio over a Cat6 balun from the TV to a Central Rack where all the Sonos Amps are Located. The main concern here is when the client uses Smart TV, to send audio back that route as well. Having an HDMI matrix with SPIDF breakouts, wouldnt help here, as the audio source would be the TV in certain uses. I know it would work with a cable box in the rack with its audio spit out of the matrix.

I am looking to see if anyone has been successful in just using an HDMI over Cat6 balun to send HDMI down to the Sonos amp in the Rack. And NO, there are no LONG HDMI cables run through this home, most everyone i know uses HDMI over Cat6 baluns when the Distance is over 30-50ft to the Rack.

Notes:
Using a Samsung Frame TV which only outputs Toslink. My idea was to get an Toslink Audio Balun over Cat6, connect the toslink from the TV to the Balun, and then Convert the Toslink Audio at the receiving end using the Sonos Toslink to HDMI adapter in the Rack. Has anyone tried this? With Success?
Hey All.

I am trying to do the same setup. Stereo sound using only the AMP ( Sonos), no AVR,no HDMI matrix, and Trying to send ARC audio over a Cat6 balun from the TV to a Central Rack where all the Sonos Amps are Located. The main concern here is when the client uses Smart TV, to send audio back that route as well. Having an HDMI matrix with SPIDF breakouts, wouldnt help here, as the audio source would be the TV in certain uses. I know it would work with a cable box in the rack with its audio spit out of the matrix.

I am looking to see if anyone has been successful in just using an HDMI over Cat6 balun to send HDMI down to the Sonos amp in the Rack. And NO, there are no LONG HDMI cables run through this home, most everyone i know uses HDMI over Cat6 baluns when the Distance is over 30-50ft to the Rack.

Notes:
Using a Samsung Frame TV which only outputs Toslink. My idea was to get an Toslink Audio Balun over Cat6, connect the toslink from the TV to the Balun, and then Convert the Toslink Audio at the receiving end using the Sonos Toslink to HDMI adapter in the Rack. Has anyone tried this? With Success?
I ended up using a Toslink Audio Balun on 2 different TV's. They've been in place for a few months and have been working flawlessly. I haven't had any luck with sending ARC over a cat6 balun.

I am having the same issue, does the toslink audio balun still allow the tv controller to control the volume? One of the main conveniences of the arc was using only one controller for all the devices. Please let me know your experiences or if anyone has found a better way to adjust the hdmi over cad6 issue. Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am having the same issue, does the toslink audio balun still allow the tv controller to control the volume? One of the main conveniences of the arc was using only one controller for all the devices. Please let me know your experiences or if anyone has found a better way to adjust the hdmi over cad6 issue. Thanks in advance

If you use the toslink for audio then you simply use IR for controlling the volume, as obviously CEC isn’t an option if HDMI isn’t involved.