Arc compatibility with Logitech Harmony Remote

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Searched for an answer but got nothing. I noticed that the Logitech Harmony app is not recognizing the Arc when I search my network for devices. It discovers all of my speakers except this one.

I realize the Arc is new and support is likely coming. I just thought I would raise the topic, as I have no idea how Harmony adds codes to their database.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

It’s not just you … I just got my Arc this afternoon, excitedly ripped out my playbar, and installed the Arc. While it does sound great, the fact that I can’t “just make the TV work” using the Harmony is making me very unpopular with my wife and daughter ;-(

I’m wondering if this is because this is a S2 only speaker? Anyone have a workaround? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As a temporary workaround, I’m wondering if it’s possible to add the Arc using the Playbar’s model number. Avoid searching for network devices and instead add an entertainment device.

Curious if the volume code is at least similar. 

Badge +1

I have the harmony remote with harmony hub and it picked it up and even named is the Arc. For regular harmony remotes I’m sure the codes are coming.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have the harmony remote with harmony hub and it picked it up and even named is the Arc. For regular harmony remotes I’m sure the codes are coming.

Hmm well that sucks for me. I have the Harmony Elite with the hub, and no luck for me

I use the Elite as well, told it that I’d added the Arc, and it now controls the Arc through the TV and HDMI ARC. What I haven’t seemed to get done is remove the PLAYBAR from the Harmony software. But I’m not sure they’re set up to handle sound bars, either. It’s not one of the pre defined device types. But I haven’t gone to Logitech’s support, or called them, either, since it’s working fine for me. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Looking into Harmony’s database using the model # (ARCG1US1BLK), it looks like it’s not listed yet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It seems I’ve had a little more progress, but not much. I gave this a shot again, but today I used the PC Harmony app instead of the iPhone app. I was asked to update both the remote and the hub (thought I already did that?). Nonetheless, the Arc started showing up in my wifi-connected device list after that. But the Harmony app doesn’t add the Arc in the way you would expect.

When I search for wifi-connected devices in the Harmony app, the Arc shows up on the device list, but it appears separate from my other Sonos devices. When I click the checkbox that selects the Arc for use, it asks me if I “meant these other devices” and suggests brands and model numbers for other devices.

Somehow, my first time around, I got past this brand/model dialogue box and was able to add the Arc under its actual name. But upon trying to add it to an activity, it them becomes problematic actually choosing the Arc as the speaker because it won’t show up in the speaker list. Ultimately I couldn’t replicate getting past the ‘alternative models’ dialogue. So yeah….buggy/non-working.

Short update :grinning:

I have the Harmony Hub and remote and experience the exact same issues as jdrednation.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I will admit, since I am using eARC on my LG CX OLED, the TV is controlling the volume just fine. I don’t even have the Arc registered as a Harmony device.

But I can still see how this is a problem for folks who can’t use the Arc in this manner (i.e. hdmi to optical converter). 

Agreed. Petitioning Logitech to add the Arc as a device seems to be in order.

Userlevel 1
Badge

it works with the Harmony Elite but it took me a while to do some work arounds...plus Arc and my surrounds and sub go into Mute mode once all is turned off which I dont think there is a workaround yet plus there is an annoying green light once Arc is off...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have Harmony Elite….and there are some bugs…..I selected Sonos OK...but when it came to the device to control volume...it only had the TV and my cable box.  

I went to the Windows App and it had the Sonos….but when I tried the activities I could change volume on my Apple TV with the Harmony but not my other HDMI inputs.  Strange

Solution:  I just set up the LG TV for volume control and put the TV sound as external only and I used the Sonos APP to program the Arc for the volume up and down of the TV…...works great.    I even get a volume bar on the TV now.

At least volume works now….I didn’t check mute.

I have Harmony Elite….and there are some bugs…..I selected Sonos OK...but when it came to the device to control volume...it only had the TV and my cable box.  

I went to the Windows App and it had the Sonos….but when I tried the activities I could change volume on my Apple TV with the Harmony but not my other HDMI inputs.  Strange

Solution:  I just set up the LG TV for volume control and put the TV sound as external only and I used the Sonos APP to program the Arc for the volume up and down of the TV…...works great.    I even get a volume bar on the TV now.

At least volume works now….I didn’t check mute.

Yeah, have had to do that workaround since launch day, I am unable to set it up otherwise. 

Haven’t been able to get it to work with my Elite and hub. When I have it search my network for devices it only finds my S1 Sonos devices, it finds no S2 devices. The work around isn’t even working for me. The volume buttons on the Harmony is controlling the volume bar showing up along the bottom of the TV screen but is not actually changing the volume. However, if I try my TVs remote, it changes the Sonos volume. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Not experiencing this issue. I replaced a Sonos Beam with the Arc and it works exactly the same. Long term Harmony user. I just “renamed” the Beam to something else and “named” the Arc the same as the Beam had been. No other changes made on the Harmony side. LG C9. Harmony Elite and Hub. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

So - are the above fixes for sounds on the Arc and Harmony Elite still the best way to program the Elite?  

I’ve essentially ‘ignored’ the Arc, and told the elite that I use the TV to adjust volume. The TV then communicates the volume information to the Arc, and makes the adjustment.

On a slightly tangential note, I put in a ticket yesterday to Logitech Harmony, who are listing it as the Sonos ARC. I’m pretty sure it isn’t the Sonos Audio Return Channel, so I’ve asked them to ‘fix’ the reference. 

I’d imagine that within the next couple of months, they’ll add the Arc to their database. It may be worth pestering them to do so, so that the device is recognized by their scan, and you can set it up like other Sonos devices in the remote’s software. I’ll take a look in a few months, for now, control by using the TV is ok for me. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’ve essentially ‘ignored’ the Arc, and told the elite that I use the TV to adjust volume. The TV then communicates the volume information to the Arc, and makes the adjustment.

On a slightly tangential note, I put in a ticket yesterday to Logitech Harmony, who are listing it as the Sonos ARC. I’m pretty sure it isn’t the Sonos Audio Return Channel, so I’ve asked them to ‘fix’ the reference. 

I’d imagine that within the next couple of months, they’ll add the Arc to their database. It may be worth pestering them to do so, so that the device is recognized by their scan, and you can set it up like other Sonos devices in the remote’s software. I’ll take a look in a few months, for now, control by using the TV is ok for me. 

Thanks - so when you say ignore the Arc, did you delete as a device on the Elite and also from the activity you are doing?  Or just left it and told the Elite to have the Sony control the volume?

When I setup my Elite, it did automatically find the Sonos setup.

I just left it, and, as I recall, told the system to look to the TV for volume. Although it’s been about a month. Memory is hazy, it worked, and that was all I cared about. I do remember that Logitech didn’t seem to ‘know’ what an Arc was at the time. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I just left it, and, as I recall, told the system to look to the TV for volume. Although it’s been about a month. Memory is hazy, it worked, and that was all I cared about. I do remember that Logitech didn’t seem to ‘know’ what an Arc was at the time. 

Thanks.  That works well.  I like it that way better, since now I can see the volume level on my Sony A9G.  Great tip!  Not sure what the advantage would be doing the way I had it.  :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I did that, too.  But every once in a while when I hit MUTE - both the TV and the ARC mute and just the ARC unmutes…..the TV then has an icon on screen indicating the mute.

I have to dig out the LG TV remote an unmute the TV…..which for some reason doesn’t mute the arc when I press it ‘

I have a Sonos Beam in another room also on an LG TV and I have it set as a Beam and not as a TV…..and it works fine.

Really crazy,