Arc Arrived - Initial Impressions

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was lucky enough to pick up my Arc preorder from a store in Sydney today. I’ve set it up and it’s paired with a Panasonic 65” GZ1000 (which only has ARC, not eARC). Here are some initial observations. 

• Apple TV 4K - YES - confirming I’m getting Dolby Atmos via ARC while watching 4K iTunes movies
  • Built in Apps - YES I’m getting Dolby Atmos from built in apps such as Netflix and Prime
  • The Bass on the Arc surprised me. I’m adding a Sub Gen3 this week regardless - but I can see how some people won’t need to add a Sub for everyday viewing
  • The dialogue is very clear - I thought the speech enhancement was on by default when I first set it up cos it was very clear - but it wasn’t on, which was a pleasant surprise
  • With the GZ1000 I haven’t seen any lip sync issues yet on either FTA channels or from the Apple TV 4K

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing! Glad you’re enjoying :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I was lucky enough to pick up my Arc preorder from a store in Sydney today. I’ve set it up and it’s paired with a Panasonic 65” GZ1000 (which only has ARC, not eARC). Here are some initial observations. 

• Apple TV 4K - YES - confirming I’m getting Dolby Atmos via ARC while watching 4K iTunes movies

It’s great to see more confirmation that Apple TV 4K can pass Atmos without needing eARC. However, it looks like your TV has some degree of Atmos functionality built-in already so you may be one of the lucky few. Will be super interested to see who gets Atmos from Apple TV 4K via regular ARC and who doesn’t (come on, Vizio owners, let’s hear your input as well!). 

Regardless, @TheHeadlessPoster, enjoy your Arc! The rest of us await with jealousy! ;-) 

How did you setup it?  I have ARC also and Apple TV and not getting Atmos.  I plugged in my Arc to the ARC.  I have the latest Apple TV software.  The only option I see is Dolby 5.1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

How did you setup it?  I have ARC also and Apple TV and not getting Atmos.  I plugged in my Arc to the ARC.  I have the latest Apple TV software.  The only option I see is Dolby 5.1.

Could be a limitation of your TV. If your TV doesn’t support Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI-ARC, there’s no way Atmos will work (which is a concern many of us have, especially with Apple TV 4K). 

(Also, note that you HAVE to have an Apple TV 4K to support Atmos; the Apple TV HD only supports up to Dolby Digital 5.1). 

Thank you for your quick response. I have a Sony X850E model. It says it outputs Dolby Digital Plus and have the Apple 4K TV. I wonder what I am doing wrong. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you for your quick response. I have a Sony X850E model. It says it outputs Dolby Digital Plus and have the Apple 4K TV. I wonder what I am doing wrong. 

Perhaps the X850E can’t convert the Dolby MAT stream from Apple TV 4K to Dolby Digital Plus. If it can’t, you may only get Atmos from internal apps that output Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus natively.

Do you have a setting in your Sony TV to switch Dolby Atmos ‘on’? On my Panasonic, there’s a setting called Dolby Atmos that needs to be switched on for the conversion and pass-through to work.

Going internal I am getting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. but not getting the option to switch to Atmos on the Apple TV 4K.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Going internal I am getting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. but not getting the option to switch to Atmos on the Apple TV 4K.  

I don’t know your Sony TV well enough - but sounds like it’s a TV limitation

I also have a C9 77” OLED and it too is passing Atmos over ARC from an Apple TV 4K

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Can you notice the difference in 5.1 and atmos? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@mcconkeb Looking at the specs for your TV it definitely seems to support Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI-ARC, which is awesome. If you’re getting Atmos / Dolby Digital Plus from the internal TV apps to the Sonos Arc (and are 100% certain you’ve got Dolby Digital Plus selected in, I think, Settings > Sound > Sound Adjustments > Advanced Settings > Input Related on the TV), but aren’t seeing the option to enable Atmos on the Apple TV 4K (Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format > Immersive Audio), then I think your TV may just not be playing nicely with the Apple TV 4K. Which, I’m guessing, will put you in good company. 

Please report back and let us know if you’re able to get it to work (and, if so, how!). 

I tried everything you said. Everything checks out until I get to Immersive Audio. Only have stereo or DD 5.1. 

Got my Arc today. Samsung Q900R TV. No Atmos from Apple TV 4K (only DD) and internal apps (only DD+).

Guess I am one of the unlucky ones.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm a bit underwhelmed.  2nd gen play 5 blows arc out of water when playing music.

How do you find out what sound quality is coming through arc from tv.  My app just says tv

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Got my Arc today. Samsung Q900R TV. No Atmos from Apple TV 4K (only DD) and internal apps (only DD+).

I have Q90R and i get atmos on q90r soundbar and i think arc would be similar...your tv should produce atmos? have you checked the settings?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

May be a dumb suggestion, but are you making sure that the content you’re watching is mastered in Dolby Atmos?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Have you tried any bass intensive clips or music with bass? Having muddy bass problems with my new arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have you tried any bass intensive clips or music with bass? Having muddy bass problems with my new arc.

Me too.  I think the bass is poor.  It's nowhere near as good as the play 5 as a music speaker.

Looks like the sub will be needed 

May be a dumb suggestion, but are you making sure that the content you’re watching is mastered in Dolby Atmos?  

I do yes. I am aware this is a Samsung problem (no eARC support, native TV apps not working with Atmos properly (allegedly botched with the latest TV firmware upgrade), etc.). I really like the Arc and is a good step up from the Playbar. Not regretting my purchase. I guess I am not alone though with owning a flagship Samsung TV not being able to use the Sonos Arc to it’s full potential. Until Samsung patches their TVs and offers eARC and or Sonos Arc supports LPCM at least (hopefully)

I actually have the same impressions of the original poster. I have an LG OLED B7 series with Dolby Atmos via ARC. ATMOS is working well through Apple TV via Netflix, Disney Plus as well as items purchased from the ITUNES store. I do have an original Sonos SUB with 2 Play 3’s as surrounds. I find the speaker to be a greater improvement over the Playbar (better highs/better lows, dialog is clear and in sync with my television). I do have enclosed room as well with an 8ft ceiling (approx 15x15) and have the ARC mounted on a TV stand in front of my TV. After playing with it, I am a little surprised about the lack of Atmos content but I am sure that will start to change in the future (Disney Plus seems to have the most out of the streaming services). Overall, I am very pleased with the upgrade. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I'm a bit underwhelmed.  2nd gen play 5 blows arc out of water when playing music.

How do you find out what sound quality is coming through arc from tv.  My app just says tv

That is to be expected.  It’s still a soundbar.

hello,

i have the same tv. Did you made it worked ? If not , I do not want to buy a new TV. It will be cheaper to buy another soundbar that have an HDMI out. I have a lot of Sonos speakers, would be great if the Arc works with my TV for atmos.

Regards

hello,

i have the same tv. Did you made it worked ? If not , I do not want to buy a new TV. It will be cheaper to buy another soundbar that have an HDMI out. I have a lot of Sonos speakers, would be great if the Arc works with my TV for atmos.

Regards

Apple TV 4K uses the multichannel LPCM codec .. maybe change it on ATV to one supported by the TV using HDMI-ARC such as DD+ 5.1 or DD 5.1.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I have a Sony X930E which does not have eARC and I use Apple TV for everything.  

Apple TV passes ATMOS via MAT 2.0.  It will not pass Atmos through my Sony.  However the built in Prime App and I have heard Vudu can pass Atmos through the TV to the ARC.  I’ve done it with Jack Ryan on Prime.  But the built in apps look quite a bit worse than the same content coming from Apple TV.  My guess is your TV is the same as mine for this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Well I’m afraid I won’t be purchasing the Arc. I really wanted to love the Arc but after a demo in a proper sound room I think the Playbar does a better job when it comes to music, I really do. We then move to the Elephant in the room i.e. the Arc’s size. It’s simply to big. I have a 55 inch C9 on a glass table top stand and the Arc would be hanging off either end, frankly looking ridiculous. The Playbar hits the sweetspot when it comes to size. Sorry Sonos, it may have all the right credentials but my hard earned cash will be staying in my pocket.

Well I’m afraid I won’t be purchasing the Arc. I really wanted to love the Arc but after a demo in a proper sound room I think the Playbar does a better job when it comes to music, I really do. We then move to the Elephant in the room i.e. the Arc’s size. It’s simply to big. I have a 55 inch C9 on a glass table top stand and the Arc would be hanging off either end, frankly looking ridiculous. The Playbar hits the sweetspot when it comes to size. Sorry Sonos, it may have all the right credentials but my hard earned cash will be staying in my pocket.

I have the Arc and LG C9 55 OLED TV and the TV is about 4 inches wider than the Arc (2 inch either side). It therefore sounds like your glass TV unit is the issue and you cannot point a finger at Sonos (or LG for that matter) about the TV unit, that is really something for you to address.

Just to add the Arc in our home, with both sub and surrounds sounds awesome, worth every penny spent ...and perfectly compliments the excellent C9 TV too.