Arc and LG OLED TV sounds cuts in and out

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Where is the support from Sonos? They fixed the samsung issue but nothing regarding LG…

Im still getting complete audio dropouts every day and have to toggle eARC off and on to get the audio back.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @Corry P 

Can we get some support? As you can see in this thread some of us LG and Arc are having problems...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shr1986 

We are aware of an issue whereby TV apps running on certain LG TV models are unable to reliably play Dolby Digital + Atmos content to an Arc when eARC is enabled on the TV. Disabling eARC allows normal playback without issue, and external sources are unaffected, regardless of the eARC setting.

Due to these specific circumstances under which the issue occurs, we recommend you contact LG for support.

Until LG release an update that fixes this, we recommend you either keep eARC disabled (you will still get Atmos sound) or use apps on another device that’s connected to the TV (Xbox, PlayStation, nVidia Shield, FireStick, Roku, Apple Tv, etc.).

The Samsung issue is completely unrelated and incomparable, regardless of how similar they may appear.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @Corry P 

But that is not the problem I and many others are having? We are experiencing complete audio drops when we switch sources. For me it happens when i switch from my Apple TV 4K to the tv tuner and when I switch from one app to another on my Apple TV. It happens a lot when I go from 5.1 content to 2.0 content and I know its related to eARC as I can get the sound back when I toggle eARC off and then on. And by the way I can’t get Atmos on my Apple TV 4K when I disable eARC. Its the only way to get LPCM and Atmos… 

I have done everything you told me by phone, mail and in here  (new cables, tried Digital Optical and so on) but nothing works and I have been having this issue since I bought the arc a year ago. I have also been in contact with LG but they could not help (they just said they knew there was a problem with LG and some Sonos products). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shr1986 

The Arc will play what it’s given, as long as the stream is in a supported format. If there are issues when you change source on your TV, then I can only say that it sounds like the TV is not handling the switch very well, or that other devices connected to the TV are somehow interfering with the CEC network your TV creates among the HDMI-connected devices, though the former seems more likely. If you’ve already exhausted our troubleshooting steps, then I can only suggest you get back in touch with LG and let them know how you feel.

If, on the other hand, you are able to connect your Arc to another, differently-branded TV and get similar results, then that would serve to illustrate that your particular Arc has an issue. In this case, please get back in touch with our technical support team.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @Corry P 

But it also happens when I switch apps on my Apple TV 4K and when I switch channels (tv tuner)? And it seems as if its related to switching between 5.1 and 2.0 content. So its not only when switching HDMI source.

But it seems as if you think the problem is with LG and not Sonos. So I guess we just have to wait for a firmware update or maybe sell our Sonos products.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @Corry P 

It just happened when I switched channels and going from 2.0 to 5.1.

Diagnostic: 1909604609

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I couldn't remember how long their should be between the problem and a diagnostic so I took one more just to be safe: 519703330.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shr1986 

All it’s telling us is that the audio feed stopped. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team if you want to continue troubleshooting with step-by-step diagnostic comparisons or explore options, or contact LG.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yeah I already tried both… So i guess i just have to live with it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just had my motherboard changed in my b9 and the problem is still there…

Userlevel 2
Badge

this is ridiculous. i can’t believe i spent almost $2k and i’m dealing with these issues. shouldn’t sonos contact lg and inform them of the issue and work with them to get them to roll out a fix.  a person calling lg tech support is not going to have as much weight as another company calling them to inform them of the issue. lg support is going to be clueless as to what the issue is!  unreal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rottsko 

More often than not, it’s the opposite. LG will take the issue far more seriously if they have an influx of contacts from customers, regardless of what we tell them. What we can do is share with them the technicalities of what our devices report in these circumstances, and this will already have been done. 

There is zero financial relationship between Sonos and LG. You, however, are not only a paid customer, but also a potential advertising opportunity. They’d be much more likely to listen to a customer than a company like Sonos. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After at long conversation with Sonos (Denmark) i finally had my arc exchanged for a new one. And i dont have any problems with the audio dropping on the new arc. Its been up and running for three days now and not one audio drop. Before on the old arc i would have multiple a day. And i could provoke it to happen within seconds (i have tried for a long time on the new one and nothing).

i dont know if it will last (i think so) but i thought you guys should know that a new arc apparently fixed the problem for me.

Userlevel 2
Badge

After at long conversation with Sonos (Denmark) i finally had my arc exchanged for a new one. And i dont have any problems with the audio dropping on the new arc. Its been up and running for three days now and not one audio drop. Before on the old arc i would have multiple a day. And i could provoke it to happen within seconds (i have tried for a long time on the new one and nothing).

i dont know if it will last (i think so) but i thought you guys should know that a new arc apparently fixed the problem for me.

keep us updated. does anyone have the new C1 LG OLED tvs and having this issue?  i’m thinking about replacing my C7 with C1. 

I had purchased an LG C1 last month and the Arc last week. Drops audio for Dolby Atmos daily. Sonos said it was the TV set having problems sending the signal. Funny thing is I purchased a different soundbar first and it did not have this problem. I’m assuming if it was the TVs “fault” it would’ve done it to the previous bar.  It’s such a shame because other than this issue it’s a great soundbar. I wish there would just be a fix rather than blaming another company. I mean technically the Arc is the accessory. The accessory should make sure it adapts to the main piece of equipment. Without the tv there’s basically no use for an arc soundbar. Obviously there’s a problem between these 2 units. I hope someone resolves it soon. Thank god the place I bought it from has a 60 day return period. 

keep us updated. does anyone have the new C1 LG OLED tvs and having this issue?  i’m thinking about replacing my C7 with C1. 

You are not alone.  I just upgraded from a C7 to a C1 and I’m noticing cutouts with the built-in Netflix app with PCM 5.1.  Not sure if it’s the Sonos Arc or the LG.  On the TV, I do have eARC enabled and audio output set to passthrough.  Input is set to bitstream.

Sonos please take note of this issue!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

You are not alone.  I just upgraded from a C7 to a C1 and I’m noticing cutouts with the built-in Netflix app with PCM 5.1.  Not sure if it’s the Sonos Arc or the LG.  On the TV, I do have eARC enabled and audio output set to passthrough.  Input is set to bitstream.

Sonos please take note of this issue!!

ugh…thinking about just going with another brand tv when i decide to get a new tv. i hear the sony a90j oled is equal/better than lg oled. 

Just set up a new C1 and Arc and having the same issue when I start a new audio feed such as starting an Atmos movie or opening Apple TV app. So far switching to the set top box and back to the app/source resolves it but I’ll try doing the eArc toggle next time.

Hope there’s a resolution in the pipeline as the wife is not impressed with my attempt to move to a simpler solution from my previous system!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Update:

No audio drops after i got my new arc. Not one. With my old arc i had multiple a day when switching source. There is no doubt that my problem was related to the arc.

I was looking for this thread for a while. I thought I was the only one who having this issue. 

History: I own Arc for a while now. I used it with Sony x85 2016 model for more than 6 months, and had no issues with normal ARC HDMI port. 

Last month, I purchased LG C1 65” model. After few weeks, I have exact same problem. 

Turing On TV from standby mode OR Switching inputs OR Changing Apps from Apple TV 4K (NEW model) - My audio drops off. 

I’m also dealing with Sonos Support and LG Support for last few days, but no one able to own this issue or help to find a resolution. 

Same here. Sonos arc. Lg oled 77 inch cx. Sonos drops in and out. Stopping earc temporarily fixes it. Still drops. Apple TV 4K. Increasing volume on tv is only temporary until it auto adjust to a lower point. Same on the app. Changing the volume up is only temporary until dropping back to the same random lower point. TV sees Sonos audio. Sonos app doesn’t detect earc. Such a hot mess. I have so much Sonos and lg oled and the arc with the 77inch cx is just awful. Help!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same Here.

LG C165
Sonos Beam Gen 2
Apple TV 4K

Audio drops when watching content in dolby atmos on Apple TV

Same Here.

LG C165
Sonos Beam Gen 2
Apple TV 4K

Audio drops when watching content in dolby atmos on Apple TV

Perhaps try switching off the HDMI-CEC control just on the devices connected to the TV, including Apple TV and see if it resolves the audio dropout issue …and if that works, then restore HDMI-CEC on each device, just one at a time, and see if one particular connected device is causing the issue. Once that’s established, perhaps leave its HDMI-CEC switched off (if it’s not too inconvenient to do that with your HT setup).