Answered

Arc + Amp Zones?

• 15 February 2021
  • 8 replies

I currently have an arc and sub in my living room and recently added an amp to be independent and control my outdoor Klipsh speakers. I am wanting to be able to watch tv and have that audio on the arc and then stream music outside on the amp however when I stream music it kills the audio on the TV. Is this possible? I figured since the amp was separate It should be easy and not really be a second zone. The amp would be its own zone and the arc it’s on zone. I am wondering if it’s the way I set it up on the app. Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by John B 15 February 2021, 13:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

You cannot automate this action in the Sonos app, but you can create an “If this, than that” automation with a smart hub or in the IFTTT app. Example: “If backyard media playback is set to PLAY, then living room playback is set to STOP.”

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

When you say the amp kills the audio on the tv does it play the music you are playing outside?

I don't have any experience with the amp but it seems odd if you haven't connected it to the tv. Perhaps you just need to look at how things are grouped.

Userlevel 7

@Richpensacola Disregard my response. I misunderstood your post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In Sonos speak speakers or stereo- or surround sets of speakers are called “Rooms”. When you speak of the Arc and the Amp forming one “zone”, do your mean they are in one “Room”? Because if that where the case you’ve set up the Arc with the Amp as a surround set. Then playing music in this room will mean you play music on the Amp and the Arc -  which ends the TV sound on the Arc. Can you try to remove the Amp from the “Room” and set it up a a different “Room”?

Just to reassure you, it is absolutely possible to have TV audio on the Arc playing at the same time as a music stream on the Amp.  As others have said, you need each to be set up in a separate room.  You must not have the two rooms grouped.

The only other scenario I can think of where playing something on the Amp would ‘take over’ the audio on the Arc would be if you were using the line-in on the Amp and had set the Arc as the Autoplay room.

So I think I figured it out. I turned the auto play off. Just to make sure though, under the products tab I have

living room plus sub

arc

then I have

patio

amp

How can I know that these separate rooms are not actually in the same group? Please forgive my ignorance 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you do have two rooms! Well done.

This is what it looks like when two rooms are grouped. It takes a conscious decision to put two rooms in a group.

As @106rallye says, grouping is a conscious step - and it is also done ‘on the fly; it is not a permanent or semi-permanent state.  If you want to have the same music playing in both rooms you group the rooms.  When you don’t want that any more, you ungroup them!