Answered

Apple TV 4K 5th Generation Remote Controlling Sonos PLAYBAR Volume

• 27 September 2017
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
The Sonos instructions to use the Apple TV 4th Generation remote to control volume on the PLAYBAR don't seem to work with the new 4K 5th Generation Apple TV. Has anyone gotten the remote to work to control the volume on the PLAYBAR (without ALSO turning up the volume on the TV itself)??
icon

Best answer by Ccastle 2 November 2017, 17:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

No same issue for me
Exactly same issue 😢
Badge
Hi it works for me, I did't do any thing just playing a movie or any thing via Apple TV 4K and I can control the volume with the Apple TV control.
Same problem here too.
Userlevel 2
I am also having this issue.
Same issue here. I even tried replugging in my old Apple TV 4th Gen before I sold it and it controlled just the Sonos speaker and not the TV just fine. I have a Sony Bravia TV, wonder if it's the way Apple TV 4K works with certain tvs?
I have this same issue with the playbar. No matter what I do, I cannot get the Apple TV 4k controller to control the playbar volume. Considering returning the playbar if this cannot work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for reaching out and letting us know about this. Just curious, has anyone tried to remove the old remote from Sonos and go through all the steps of adding a new remote (the remote that came with your 5th Gen Apple TV 4K)? If so, what were the results? Here is an article you may find helpful.
Hello everyone. Thanks for reaching out and letting us know about this. Just curious, has anyone tried to remove the old remote from Sonso and go through all the steps of adding a new remote (the remote that came with your 5th Gen Apple TV 4K)? If so, what were the results? Here is an article you may find helpful.

Yes, I have disconnected the previous remote and added the one from the Apple TV 4K and it has not changed the issue. When I switched back to the 4th Generation TV and remote there was no issue, but then I switched back to 4K Apple TV and remote and the issue persists.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
CFL313: Understood. Looks like there have been a few folks reporting the similar issues to Sony as noted here. You may be able to get a little more information about how remote control command passthrough works with AppleTV 4K from Apple Support.
So, is Sonos unable to provide any support? This is really frustrating!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
So, is Sonos unable to provide any support? This is really frustrating!Based on the specific problem CFL313 is explaining, it seems there is an issue with the commands being translated from their Sony TV to their AppleTV 4K. Do you have a Sony TV as well? If not, what is the make and model of TV do you have? I am happy to help in any way I can.
I am a having the same identical issue with my PLAYBAR. I have it attached to a TCL 55P605. I have no other problems with using other remotes synced to the PLAYBAR, just with the 5th Gen Apple TV remote.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I am a having the same identical issue with my PLAYBAR. I have it attached to a TCL 55P605. I have no other problems with using other remotes synced to the PLAYBAR, just with the 5th Gen Apple TV remote.Hello there, Ccastle. If you were to use the AppleTV remote directly with the TV and 5th Gen AppleTV (as if the PLAYBAR didn't exist) does the volume increase/decrease as expected, or do you have to press the button repeatedly? Thanks in advance.
Yes, I can use the Apple TV remote to control the TCL volume, so long as I am using the built-in speakers. When I disable the tv speakers, while connected to the Sonos, it does not increase or decrease the volume of the TV pass through signal to the SONOS.
Got it to work. Had to manually set the Apple TV 4K to "Control Receiver by IR", rather than Auto. When I went through the SONOS remote setup, I had to use another controller for the "Mute" button part, as the Siri Remote does not have a mute button.
So, is Sonos unable to provide any support? This is really frustrating!Based on the specific problem CFL313 is explaining, it seems there is an issue with the commands being translated from their Sony TV to their AppleTV 4K. Do you have a Sony TV as well? If not, what is the make and model of TV do you have? I am happy to help in any way I can.

I have a TCL 55P607 and have been unable to set up the Apple TV 4K remote or the remote that came with the TV to control the Playbar volume. I followed this article: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4043?_ga=2.67926678.601340465.1510199955-769559556.1508101181. No matter which remote I try, nothing happens during the step when I press the volume up button. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Maroon5: Did you happen to give the solution Ccastle gave above?

Had to manually set the Apple TV 4K to "Control Receiver by IR", rather than Auto. When I went through the SONOS remote setup, I had to use another controller for the "Mute" button part, as the Siri Remote does not have a mute button.
Maroon5: Did you happen to give the solution Ccastle gave above?

Had to manually set the Apple TV 4K to "Control Receiver by IR", rather than Auto. When I went through the SONOS remote setup, I had to use another controller for the "Mute" button part, as the Siri Remote does not have a mute button.

I did! Same result unfortunately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. After a little deeper research, it seems that your TV uses a Roku type remote. Some of these remotes do not use Infrared (IR) frequencies to communicate with devices. Do you have any remotes that can output IR such as a Universal Remote? I'm unable to determine if the P607 Series remote that comes with your TV is able to output IR.

However, I did find a page that shows how to program a universal remote to work with your TCL/Roku TV.
Userlevel 2
Not working for me. @sonos are you working on a fix?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Yeshecholwa. What TV are you working with? The more information we can gather about your home theater system, the quicker we can get your setup working as intended. Thanks in advance.
My 5th gen. Apple TV remote will not decrease the volume. Both «+» And «-« will only increase the volume. Apple TV remote works fine with my Sandstrøm 40’ TV but Sonos Playbar will not respond when i try adjust the volume down.

Any fix on these 5th generation/playbar problems?
Same issue here. I even tried replugging in my old Apple TV 4th Gen before I sold it and it controlled just the Sonos speaker and not the TV just fine. I have a Sony Bravia TV, wonder if it's the way Apple TV 4K works with certain tvs? did you get this to work? I have the Bravia and the Apple 4K and I can’t get the remote to work.
Just hooked up my new 4K Apple TV and I’ve got the same issue. Volume + is fine, but Volume - is ignored. Unable to decrease volume with the new remote. My 5th gen. Apple TV remote will not decrease the volume. Both «+» And «-« will only increase the volume. Apple TV remote works fine with my Sandstrøm 40’ TV but Sonos Playbar will not respond when i try adjust the volume down.

Any fix on these 5th generation/playbar problems?