Answered

Apple TV 4K 5th Generation Remote Controlling Sonos PLAYBAR Volume

Show first post

35 replies

Badge
Similar issues here. Volume on my AppleTV 4k remote works sporadically with my playbase. More often than not it doesn't work at all.
So I have a Apple TV 4k and looking to get the playbar. Is this still an issue? If so its going to be a deal breaker.
Ok, it seems we are abandoned here. Just had to exchange my ATV4 for an ATV4K.

Here is what I was able to configure:

- ATV4K remote controls the ATV4K correctly but SONOS volume goes only UP on both side ( + & - )
- ATV4 remote controls SONOS volume correctly but not the ATV4K

So what? 2 remotes? Seriously?
How the hell is that new remote not working correctly .... ?!
Valentine_13 wrote:

Ok, it seems we are abandoned here. Just had to exchange my ATV4 for an ATV4K.

Here is what I was able to configure:

- ATV4K remote controls the ATV4K correctly but SONOS volume goes only UP on both side ( + & - )
- ATV4 remote controls SONOS volume correctly but not the ATV4K

So what? 2 remotes? Seriously?
How the hell is that new remote not working correctly .... ?!

I have mine working fine.
EJAY81 wrote:

So I have a Apple TV 4k and looking to get the playbar. Is this still an issue? If so its going to be a deal breaker.

I have mine working with no issues. Remember folks the apple TV take commands via Bluetooth, however the remote is also IR capable. When programing to use the ATV remote with your sonos playbar/base make sure you are actually pointing directly at it or it wont work.
EJAY81 wrote:

I have mine working fine.

Hi,

Yes, i did that, but the volume goes only in one direction ... so it's useless ...
To any future people having this problem I hope this solution helps!
I had set my AppleTV to play audio though the HDMI cord. My Samsung TV was set up audio out via the optical cable. In the Sonos app, go to Settings > Room Settings > The room with your device > TV > Remote control setup.
I bought an Harmony Elite :D
Working good with my setup.
So I just figured out how to get my Playbar and the 5th generation Apple TV 4K remote to work.

I went to Settings>Remote & Devices>Learn new remote on the Apple TV and choose to set up a new remote. I used a IR remote that had nothing to do with the Apple TV to teach the Apple TV volume up and down via IR. Once it had learned from my universal remote (which had never been set up for Sonos) I went back to the sonos app and went through the process of setting up a new remote with the Apple TV remote that had just learned volume up and down. It immediately recognized the IR it struggled to recongnize every time before. Then everything worked exactly as it should.
Fresh install feedback for this long thread.

Existing Sony XBR-70X850B over Playbar / Sub / Play 1 surrounds bought / set up around 2014. Harmony Ultimate remote. Just added Apple TV 4K. Now, never using any other input source but Apple TV. It’s great.

The Harmony remote adopted the Apple TV just fine but after just a day of playing with the Apple TV remote I knew that was the way I wanted to go. It’s pretty slick.

The Sonos / Apple TV 4K remote set up steps and this forum thread warned that only one remote can control the Playbar. I didn’t really want to give up the Harmony / Playbar volume function for occasional visitors that know how it works and I read a lot about Apple TV 4K (5th gen) remote / Playbar set up challenges.

Anyway.....I went for it. Followed SonosApp>Settings>RoomSettings>TV Room>Remote>RemoteControlSetup>Set Up New Remote.

It was just point the Apple remote at the playbar and press volume. Playbar lit up and responded. So that was no issue. The TV volume graphic appears now and responds along with Playbar volume changes but no sound comes from the TV. Doesn’t bother me. Funny thing is....Harmony remote still controls Playbar too.

So.....all good here.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings