Amp (or pair) for Home Theater L,R and SR, SL (surround sound)

• 7 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies
If you connect the new AMP (via HDMI ARC or optical) to a TV as the front L,R speakers does the Sonos create a synthesized center channel or does it only provide a stereo pair for the TV?

If only a stereo pair, can the existing TV built-in speaker (limited as it is) provide a true center channel or are the internal speakers always disabled completely when optical out or HDMI ARC out is in use?

Secondly, the setup guide says "Use Amp with third-party speakers to add surround sound if you already have a Sonos home theater speaker (Beam, Playbase, Playbar, or another Amp) connected to your TV" so:

Can I use one Amp as the primary L,R speakers connected to the TV with HDMI ARC or optical and then use a SECOND Amp connected over the wireless network to be the Surround L and Surround R speakers?

This is implied, but the setup guide is very terse and doesn't explicitly provide any more information on this.

Basically, if I want a full 5.1 surround sound system but using my own speakers for L,R, SR, SL can this be done? This is instead of using a Playbar/Playbase/Beam as the L,R,C.

This does raise the same issue of what is used as the center speaker?

Basically, trying to understand if I can hook up high quality 3rd party speakers in a 5.1 setup but avoid using a traditional stereo receiver/AVR?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

On the first point, Sonos creates a 'phantom' centre channel by splitting the audio on the centre channel between the two front speakers. This is better than stereo, as all three front channels are being dealt with separately.

You cannot have a separate centre speaker in this set up. And thankfully not the TV, as the difference in tone between the TV and speakers would almost certainly sound awful.

You can certainly use a second Sonos Amp for the rear speakers if you wish. You would then have a 5.1 system using your own speakers (well. strictly speaking 4:1 with phantom centre.).
Userlevel 2
Badge
With the phantom/synthesized center channel, does the Sonos app allow any configuration options to boost that virtual center channel for dialog in movies?

Typically a real center channel speaker (not the built-in TV) and the appropriate settings on a receiver/AVR allows older people to adjust the center for better hearing.

With most audio, except for movies, the majority of the sound is coming through the center channel so I am wondering what kind of trade-off using this configuration (real external L,R speakers but no real C) versus using a Sonos soundbar (Playbase, Play, or Beam) that provides L,C,R but the speakers for L,R are the much smaller ones inside the soundbar?

Splitting hairs here, or a significant difference in listening experience?
I don't know, is the honest answer, but may have an opinion in a couple of weeks, as my Sonos Amp is due for delivery next week and I plan to try it with L & R passives for the front and Play:1s for the surrounds. Maybe someone who already has experience with the Amp will chip in.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yeah, I'm probably going to order an Amp tomorrow as my distributors have them in stock and I have a spare pair of Play ONE's I could try for the surrounds. Just trying to sanity check before spending too much time playing around on my own.
Yeah, I'm probably going to order an Amp tomorrow as my distributors have them in stock and I have a spare pair of Play ONE's I could try for the surrounds. Just trying to sanity check before spending too much time playing around on my own.Fair enough. Check the returns policy - you have a 100 day no quibble return buying direct from Sonos.
With the phantom/synthesized center channel, does the Sonos app allow any configuration options to boost that virtual center channel for dialog in movies?
Yes.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/introducing-sonos-amp-6812069?postid=16263678
The Speech Enhancement and Night Sound modes are functions of our TV input, and are available on all players that have it, including the new Amp.