Answered

Airplay Password for the Beam

• 24 October 2021
  • 2 replies

I recently bought a set of Sonos SL speakers to use as a set of Surrounds to use with my Sonos Beam (connected ARC to a LG C1 TV). Using my iPhone or iPad, I use to be able to airdrop to the Beam speaker from the Apple Music App. After adding these as Surround speakers to the Beam it is now asking for an Airplay Password for the Beam. I tried the Sonos password and it does not work. What password is it asking for or how do I correct this?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 25 October 2021, 02:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Chandler1 

This seems to be a recurring issue of late. My guess is that it’s some type of bug in the iOS/iPadOS software.

This may not be the case but it sounds like your iPhone is part of a corporate environment. If so click the link to resolve the issue. If not keep reading.

In my case it was my two Roams and Sonos Amp with Sonos Sub used to power stereo speakers. All other rooms were OK. My fix was to reset those speakers. As the Amp was configured it does not allow Trueplay so no loss there. The Roams will auto-TruePlay so no worries there either. Any other room would require TruePlay after a reset. Note: The reset would most likely only be required for your Beam as the surrounds are being commanded by it.

I would not blame Sonos as AirPlay2 is not a Sonos developed feature. It’s licensed from Apple. As the software on your iOS device is also by Apple; therein lies where the blame should be directed. iOS software updates may affect certain Sonos speakers/components differently; as in my case. My Beam, ARC’s, Moves and Fives were not affected (i.e. requiring a password to initiate AirPlay2). However, oddly the Sonos Amp used to power speakers for a turntable was not affected:thinking: .  So some anomalies do exist for whatever reason.

Botton-line...we’re dealing with electronics that use sophisticated coding to work developed independently by Sonos and Apple. Ninety-nine percent (99%) of the time Sonos and Apple play well together; unlike TV manufacturers and their implementations of HDMI-CEC coding :persevere: .

I hope you are able to resolve the password issue to allow a seamless AirPlay2 implemetation with Sonos.

Badge

Just been through this infamous issue of airplay requesting a code. After trying every other suggested solution without luck I tried the factory reset approach and was successful. So I recommend the same as AjTrek1’s answer to everyone else.