Answered

Adding two ceiling speakers to an existing Sonos wireless 5.1 setup

• 1 March 2020
  • 5 replies

So I have a virtual 5.1 system with the Sonos beam (acting as front and center speakers), sub, and two play 1’s in the rear as surrounds.  I am trying to determine the following:

Purchase 2 in-ceiling speakers (was thinking of Polk Audio)

Purchase Connect Amp

Wire the ceiling speakers to the amp so I have sound coming from above as well.  Any issues with this setup? If Sonos ever releases an atmos solution with dedicated height channels, I could potentially be future proofed?  In the meantime, would the extra wired passive speakers be helpful in creating a more enveloped sound field?

Or does it make sense to just create a 5.1.2 system with a regular AV receiver and speakers with 2 dedicated height channels for Atmos?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 March 2020, 04:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m not a surround expert but I believe I got this right.

Sonos currently only does 5.1 over the low latency 5 GHz link, your additional speakers would likely have an aggravating delay if you grouped them to the 5.1 TV audio.

Getting a Sonos Amp, the replacement for the Connect Amp would allow you to have multiple rear SR-SL pairs, up to three if using the Sonance speakers Sonos resells. Usally only 2 otherwise.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the new Sonos amp, not the old one. Assuming the latency issue still applies?

A Sonos “room” maximum is 5.1 speakers. TheRe isn’t a method to add two more speakers to that same “room”. As Stanley suggests, you could certainly replace your current surround speakers with a Sonos Amp, and drive a pair of surround speakers, by bonding the Amp to your a Sonos sound bar.

You could “group” the other two speakers, after setting them up as another “room”, but they would indeed be subject to the 75ms delay between the 5Ghz ‘room’ and all other rooms. 

Thanks. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. 

khashmi,

Adding an AMP and a second pair of speakers will inject a difficult to mange delay that will be very annoying. One solution would be to replace the PLAY:1’s with two pairs of speakers wired to AMP. We don’t know if there will be a future option to add an additional AMP driving ATMOS speakers.