Adding in cieling speakers with sonos amp to set up that includer sonos playbar

• 29 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, we are moving and the new home lends itself to the in-ceiling speakers for home theater. right now, i have sonos play bar and sonos play:1’s as back speakers.  How would i connect the playbar and amp together for the sound.  

Also, could i put the amp in another room and connect to playbar?  i am thinking of putting in room where the cabling runs will terminate.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

You can only add up to two Subs and two rear surround speakers to a Sonos home theater speaker like the Playbar. So you can either continue to use your Play:1s as surrounds or you can replace them with a pair of in-ceiling speakers powered by a Sonos Amp.

yes, i plan on replacing hte play:1’s with in ceiling speakers.  just trying to figure out in my mind how the amp, playbar, and tv  would be configured together.  especially, if i add outdoor speakers off the amp, which i shoul dbe able to do

Userlevel 7

The Amp acts as a single zone. If you want to power outdoor speakers with an Amp too, you need to get two Amps - one Amp to power your in-ceiling speakers that are connected to your Playbar as surrounds and one Amp to power your outdoor speakers.

Your profile says you have the older Connect:amp, not the new Sonos Amp.  Sonos will typically have the home theatre speakers communicate with each other via 5 GHZ wifi, but the Connect:amp can’t do that, so it must be hardwired via ethernet cable to the playbar, either directly or through a router or switch.  So, yes, you could put the Connect:amp in another room, if wiring isn’t an issue.  if you were trying to use 5 Ghz,with the Sonos amp, it would need to be in good wireless range.

As far as outdoor speakers, I would not use your Connect:amp for that.  You can connect two pairs of speakers to one amp, one pair in your TV room, one outdoors, but it will always be playing the rear surround duties in both locations.  I would order a new Sonos amp for this, so you have it has a separate controllable room.  Also, if you want to have an outdoor TV setup, you can wire HDMI between the TV and the Sonos amp, so you’re speakers can play the outdoor TV audio.

thx - i sold that connect:amp while back