Adding a Play 1 to existing 5.1 home cinema set up

• 9 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
Is it possible to add an extra Play 1 to my 5.1 set up?
I have a playbar with sub and two rear play 1 set up in my lounge. However I have recently extended the lounge so its much larger than before. I was wondering if it was possible to add an extra Play 1 in the part of the room I extended to have 3 rear speakers in essence. Rather than remove the existing Play one and move it to that part of the room. As if I do that I will need to plaster over where the speaker was and its been recently decorated. I know it would have been easier moving the speaker when the renovations were taking place but I didn't 😞

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No. The Sonos 5.1 system cannot allow the adding of an additional surround or even front speaker
Badge
Yes I know it doesn't allow a 7.1 set up but could you add a play 1 and pair it to the room?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can Add a single Play 1 to your system and GROUP it to the Sonos 5.1. BUT, its audio would be around 70ms behind the surround audio.

It would be highly unsatisfactory for what you are suggesting
Badge
Oh well just as I thought. Better get the pollyfilla out:(
Thanks anyway.
A 70ms delay? really?? I was planning on doing something similar to that this weekend. I was going to get an additional play 1 for the kitchen, which is in earshot of the living room. Living room has 5.1 but it's all kind of an open layout. Would this be a decent set up? I know this post is old...I might create a new topic for it.
If you only intend to group the kitchen play:1 with your living room when playing music sources, then it's not a bad idea. As pointed out, when the system is taking in audio from the playbar's optical input, and speakers grouped to the living room will be on a 70ms delay. There are technical reasons that provide optimal performance for both whole home audio and home theatre audio.