Question

7.1 Dolby Atmos Issues? (The Fifth Element)

• 30 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hello all,

Can someone let me know if there are issue with the way in which SONOS handles 7.1 Dolby Atmos mixes? I got bought the UHD release of The Fifth Element for Christmas and I just went to watch it, but the dialogue is so quiet, it is essentially a silent movie.

The score and sound f/x can all be heard, it's just the dialogue. I can hear it provided I turn the system up to a level that would be deafening if I were playing music, but then once the action sequences kick in, I have to turn it right back down because the rest of the mix is too loud.

I can never tell with the error is with the mix of the discs or SONOS.

I've come to the conclusion over the last few years that SONOS is great for music, but a complete train wreck as a home theatre unit, and every time I get one of these issues I become even more disenchanted.

Cheers,
Andy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos doesn't support 7.1/Atmos. It supports Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1 and PCM 2.0. You might want to look in the Sonos controller... More > Settings > About my Sonos System to see what your Playbar is receiving.

You may need to adjust settings on your TV or Blu-Ray player to make sure they're outputting DD 5.1 if that's what you want your Sonos system to receive.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Sonos doesn't support 7.1/Atmos. It supports Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1 and PCM 2.0. You might want to look in the Sonos controller... More > Settings > About my Sonos System to see what your Playbar is receiving.

You may need to adjust settings on your TV or Blu-Ray player to make sure they're outputting DD 5.1 if that's what you want your Sonos system to receive.

I know it doesn't support those mixes, I just wasn't sure if there was something about 7.1 and the fact that is really muted - even for a mix that it support.

Maybe it is something to do with the way the audio is mixed on the disc.