Answered

5.1 surround without PLAYBAR

• 29 December 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I've tried out PLAYBAR, 2x Play:1 and SUB. But I'm not convinced, especially when it comes to use the system for music listening. I miss the "solid dynamic sound" from the PLAYBAR as you get in a Play:5. I love the SUB though, it's amazing.

However, I've been thinking about a solution like this:

- 2x Play:5 as front speakers.
-1x Play:3/Play:5 as center speaker.
- 2× Play:1 as rear speakers.
- 1x SUB

My question is, does Sonos support this set up for 5.1 surround? If, do I need to add any extra components?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 December 2017, 04:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No, none of the speakers you've listed have the ability to decode a 5.1 signal.
No, this is not supported. There can be no 5.1 without either a play bar or play base for 3 of the 5.1 parts of the set up. Have you tried Full mode for music listening?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
no that is not supported.

I do assume that you have the surround settings set to full so that the Play:1s play in full stereo when listening to music If you were very interested in more sound playing music couldn't you go to play:5's in rear (with full mode set listening to music they would be full stereo pair no different then front l/r)
Thanks for the real quick response guys.

So it's all about decoding? Shouldn't the CONNECT components be able to handle stuff like that?

Maybe I could just keep what I got and add 2x Play:5 as extra front speakers for music listening, or would that be overkill? 😉
There's nothing in the Sonos ecosystem that would allow you to separate the left, center and right signals, and send them to three separate speakers. Many of us have suggested such a system to Sonos, here in these boards, as we think that it would sell a lot more speakers for them, which is the only way that they make money.

The CONNECT is a relatively older device that is designed to take the music from Sonos streams and supply it to already existing amplifiers. It's not designed to be an adjunct to your TV set.

No, that wouldn't be overkill. I happen to be satisfied with music from my PLAYBAR, SUB, and 2 PLAY:1s set up as "Full" rather than "Ambient", but my ears and musical tastes aren't yours. Important to note, however, the SUB can be bonded to one set of speakers at a time, although using a pair of PLAY:5s might obviate the need for a SUB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have always been an advocate for a superconnect. That would decide digital signal and send out to 5 independent Sonos speakers vs the playbar. Would be very useful for those with projector setups.

New connect in the horizon but I don’t have hopes for it to be a superconnect unfortunately.
Thanks for all the great answers! :)

There's nothing in the Sonos ecosystem that would allow you to separate the left, center and right signals, and send them to three separate speakers. Many of us have suggested such a system to Sonos, here in these boards, as we think that it would sell a lot more speakers for them, which is the only way that they make money.

Yeah, I totally agree..