Answered

5.1 setup

• 20 October 2018
  • 10 replies

Badge
I am looking to install a 5.1 sonos system with Sonos Sound bar sub and play one. I intend to use 2 ceiling speakers for rears.
What equipment is required?
What is required for the 2 play one speakers. This is a new construction home so getting power or cat 5 to tv will be easy.
I plan to use connect amps to power other in ceiling zones.
Thanks
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 October 2018, 15:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Drb119

You just need either a Sonos PlayBar/PlayBase/Beam/New Sonos Amp for the front (left, center, right) channels ...and either a Connect:Amp, or the new Sonos Amp, for the rear ceiling speakers and a Sonos Sub... You don’t need two Play:1 speakers at all for a 5.1 setup.
Badge
What would be the advantage of using the new Sonos amp for the in ceiling rear speakers? Is the upgrade in wattage needed?
Thanks
No the wattage upgrade is not likely needed, hence i suggested either your existing Connect:Amp or a new Sonos Amp. There is one advantage however and that is with the new sonos Amp, the rears can be attached to a Wireless Amp, but your old connect would need to be wired.

The reason the Connect Amp needs to be wired is because it only has a 2.4 ghz radio built into it and a faster 5ghz radio is required for a bonded surround setup. The new Amp has a 5ghz radio, so no wiring is necessary. So there is nothing preventing you using your original Connect, as stated in my earlier post.

Hope that clarifies things for you.
Badge
I’m still a bit confused. My in ceiling speakers that will be used for rear speakers will need a separate amp for power, I get that. What I don’t understand is how they will be integrated into the 5.1 system when they are running in a separate amp. I want to use the in ceiling speakers to minimize the clutter of speakers showing.
Thanks for your help.
Here's a link describing how a Connect:Amp can be used to power surround speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

With the new Sonos Amp, the need for a wired connection between the fronts and the surrounds is eliminate.
Thanks for chipping in jgatie, ?... hopefully Drb119 will now understand how the Connect:Amp (or even the new Sonos Amp) will work for his rear in-ceiling speakers.

I hope he also now realises that he does not need the 'Play:1' or 'Sonos One' Speakers either...! ... just a PlayBar/PlayBase, Beam or even a (second) new Sonos Amp for the front left/right/center.
Badge
I do realize I do not need the play 1. This has been very helpful.
I do realize I do not need the play 1. This has been very helpful.
That’s okay, I was just worried you may buy Play:1 Speakers, thinking that you need them for the front-left and front-right, when those channels already form part of the PlayBar/PlayBase/Beam etc.

The new Sonos Amp can be used for both the front and rear channels ... when used at the front with the TV it creates a phantom centre channel.

For larger rooms Sonos recommend their older PlayBar, or PlayBase. (The PlayBase 'only' has built-in Airplay, neither has built in Alexa control)

For medium sized and smaller rooms Sonos recommend the new Beam (This has both built in Alexa and Airplay)

The new Amp is for larger rooms too, but not released till later this year. (It has no built-in Alexa, but I assume it will have Airplay) .. it has no true center channel. It can operate wirelessly for both front and rear setup.

The Connect Amp is the older device and has no 5ghz radio, no built-in Airplay, no Alexa Control. It cannot be used with the TV at the front, but can be used for bonding the rear speakers in a 5.0/5.1 setup with the other Sonos devices, but to do that it needs to be cabled (it won’t operate with bonded rear surrounds over wireless).

I hope that information helps to provide you with a better-informed decision.
Badge
This has helped. It is a bigger room so I plan to use play bar and sonos sub as well as the 2 in ceiling speakers to create 5.1. I am not tech savvy and had/ have trouble figuring out how to wire the 2 amps needed to get rear in ceiling speakers working with Sonos PLAYBAR and sub to create 5.1
Drb119,

Well if you get stuck during the install, then pop back here for advice. I’m sure someone will be able to help sort it with you.