Answered

5.1 Playbar: Possible to play stereo sound in back speakers?

• 12 April 2019
  • 5 replies

I have a home theater setup with a playbar, sub and two Ones are backspeakers. My TV passes through sound signals from the top set box via s/pdif, and it works fine for both 5.1 signals and stereo, but I have one "feature request", I guess.

My seating is quite far from the TV and Playbar, and at night I would want to hear the sound from TV-channels that only send stereo in the back speakers (I'm close to them). This way I won't have to turn the volume up so high to hear dialoge.

Any way to make this happen, like with the music feature?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 April 2019, 23:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not currently, no. It's been asked for as a feature request before, so the team is aware of the desire.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Not currently, no....

I was really hoping to see a different answer here.
I could lie to you, if that would make you feel better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I have a Nintendo Switch set on a 5.1 setup, however I can only use a stereo signal out to Sonos. After re-configuring my surrounds (a la remove and re-add), I was able to achieve a similar effect to what you were looking for.

In this case, I selected the furthest distance when it asked how far my surrounds are from my "seating area". This causes Sonos to pipe in a little more to the surrounds (since it thinks its further than it actually is) allowing you to get a similar "dual-stereo" effect in smaller environments. While it may not be a perfect solution, I know I'm definitely enjoying MarioKart a little bit more. 🙂

Hope you find this helpful!
Just to add to Keith's solution, in the App's PlayBar 'room' settings, goto 'Advanced Audio/Surround Settings' and try adjusting the TV Level slider bar to see if that also helps get a little more audio out to your surrounds.