Question

5,1 optical port passthrough for a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 Plasma

• 13 October 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I use the Oppo BDP-103d to upscale my Directv 1080i output to 1080p. I am using the optical digital out from the Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 that has the Oppo, Apple TV and PS4 in the HDMI ports. I use the Roku streaming stick on the Oppo so if I need one more to the screen I have another HDMI port. My concern here is that does the Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 actually pass through the 5.1 signals from the HDMI inputs from it. I have the Sonos Playbar, Sub, connect amp and two ceiling surrounds set up. I am trying to get as close as i can to 5.1 without the wires and receiver set up. I guess I could use output from the Oppo unit but them I get nothing from my Ps4 without my headset on.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

What does it say in the manual for the TV? That's probably the best place to find it.

Conversely, look at the audio options on the TV's system screen, and see what you can tell by looking at it. Often they'll be rather explicit, once you've turned off the internal speakers, and you can determine what output the optical has.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
The manual doesn't define it accurately and I have tried to find reference to the optical digital out. If you find it, let me know.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I would like to delete this topic but I can't see where I can
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
The Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 or TC-P65ZT60 do not passthrough the digital audio it receives. The "dumb down" everything to PCM or just plain old stereo in layman's terms. I am currently relying on using my Oppo-BDP-103d for optical audio. Once one gets bitstream input to Sonos, the sound completely changes. It become much more like being in a theater.
Huh, most interesting, Sageguy. Thanks for posting that, for those who may come along later.

A good case, I'd say, for one of those switches that you can get from Amazon to split out an optical output from the HDMI before it reaches the TV.