Answered

2 x Play 1's vs Playbase

• 5 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi folks,
I currently listen to most of my music in FLAC via Tidal and 2 Play 1's, set up as a stereo pair.
I'm considering moving up to a Playbase and Sub, and putting the 2 x Play 1's at the back of the room as the BL and BR speakers in a 5.1 set up.
Because of the seating arrangements, this will mean that I'll be more likely to use the Playbase to listen to music, so I wanted to ask if it will do as good a job as my two Play 1's are currently doing?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 12 June 2018, 21:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,
I currently listen to most of my music in FLAC via Tidal and 2 Play 1's, set up as a stereo pair.
I'm considering moving up to a Playbase and Sub, and putting the 2 x Play 1's at the back of the room as the BL and BR speakers in a 5.1 set up.
Because of the seating arrangements, this will mean that I'll be more likely to use the Playbase to listen to music, so I wanted to ask if it will do as good a job as my two Play 1's are currently doing?

Hi teedeepee,

Using 2 PLAY:1s in a stereo pair should provide you with more stereo separation than the PLAYBASE. Though the PLAYBASE would typically provide a bit more bass than the stereo pair. The PLAYBASE does sound great for music as well as TV audio. Adding a SUB to the stereo pair would bypass this, giving you the separation and the bass.

If you were to set up a surround system, using the PLAY:1s as rear speakers, you could set your system up to play full audio for the rear speakers when playing music. This would likely provide the best audio experience.
Thanks Jeff, I wasn't aware that the set up could be configured t do that, so thanks very much for the info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff, I wasn't aware that the set up could be configured t do that, so thanks very much for the info.

No problem. The setting is located in the Sonos settings menu under room settings for your PLAYBASE. On the surrounds menu you should see an option for music playback. The ambient setting will keep the rears quiet during music, but the full setting will get the music playing all around.