Answered

2 Samsung TV's and SONOS

• 25 November 2016
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I own 2 Samsung tv's; one in the livingroom and one in the kitchen (it's a space without walls, 60m2), and want to buy a SONOS set.
My thoughts:
- TV livingroom: 2x PLAY5, 1x PLAYBAR, 1x SUB
- TV kitchen: 1x PLAY5

In the livingroom I want to use the standard configuration as descripted above, but in the kitchen I want to connect the TV through 3,5mm jack to use the single PLAY5.
When I play music f.e. with Spotify and don't use any tv, I want to use the whole system (all PLAY5, PLAYBAR and SUB).

Possible? Or is there a better configuration to achieve the best result?

Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by ratty 25 November 2016, 13:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It will work, however:

- PLAY:5s are rather overkill for surround duties, so unless you plan to play music in Full surround mode this may be unnecessary expenditure.

- The kitchen TV will experience a 70ms delay through the PLAY:5 Line-In, which may rankle. It depends on your sensitivity to lip-sync.

- If you group the PLAYBAR with the kitchen PLAY:5 the latter will be in sync for music but not for living room TV audio. This is because PLAYBAR minimises the delay for its own TV audio, to 30ms. (Ironically they would be in sync for kitchen TV audio, but would all lag the picture by 70ms.)
Thank you for your answer. Is there a better solution for this purpose?

It will work, however:

- PLAY:5s are rather overkill for surround duties, so unless you plan to play music in Full surround mode this may be unnecessary expenditure.

- The kitchen TV will experience a 70ms delay through the PLAY:5 Line-In, which may rankle. It depends on your sensitivity to lip-sync.

- If you group the PLAYBAR with the kitchen PLAY:5 the latter will be in sync for music but not for living room TV audio. This is because PLAYBAR minimises the delay for its own TV audio, to 30ms. (Ironically they would be in sync for kitchen TV audio, but would all lag the picture by 70ms.)
If it were me, I'd do this:

Living room: Playbar, 2 Play:1s, Sub (extremely effective 5.1 system)
Kitchen: Playbar.

Why? I find that in my kitchen, I tend to be working, not sitting and listening critically to music. The room is full of hard reflective surfaces, so sound quality is not super critical. And the benefit of the optical connection to the TV just works.

I had just a playbar in my living room, and found the sound to be acceptable for music in addition to the TV, and even more than acceptable when I added a sub.

But it boils down to what works for you and your family. I have opinions, but my ears and life are not yours.