Answered

ˋDolby Atmos ´ need while TV doesnt have eARC HDMI port !

• 1 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 7 replies

Hi

I am using Apple TV 4K ( 1st gen). I just bought today  “Sonos ARC”

if I want to use Apple TV 4K with this sound bar in order to get “Dolby Atmos” sound experience then how I can get it as my tv doesn’t have HDMI eARC port also.

The problem is the Soundbar has only one HDMI ARC port! No other HDMI port available . if I connect input HDMI from “Apple TV 4K “ to Soundbar HDMI ARC port, then how I can connect my TV screen to this soundbar as there is no other HDMI port left on the soundbar!

Any Suggestions please. i;e ; if need eARC HDMI converter , can you recommend any !

thanks

//

Gazi

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 1 January 2023, 23:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Use the ARC port to connect the Sonos Arc. Use the other ports to connect any other HDMI devices you have. 

The TV creates the ARC signal, and passes it out the ARC port, from any HDMI input you use. 

Badge

Hi 

I tried this already to connect tv arc HDMI port with Sonos arc and Other HDMI to Tv but still I can’t get ˋDolby Atmos ´ Feature !

Atmos should appear 1) if you have CEC (or whatever your TV manufacturer calls it) turned on in the TV’s audio settings and 2) if the content being watched is encoded in Atmos. The Sonos system does not ‘up-rez’ standard stereo or Dolby Digital signals into Atmos signals.

What are you attempting to watch that is encoded in Atmos? What TV do you have?

Not all TVs (neither of my Vizios, for instance) will pass either a Dolby Digital Plus (needed for minimum Atmos) or full Atmos (in a MAT format). For my TV, only the ‘smart’ apps on the TV itself will play Dolby Digital Plus. If my Apple TV tries to pass a MAT or Dolby Digital Plus to the TV via HDMI, it fails. 

Userlevel 7

Hi 

I tried this already to connect tv arc HDMI port with Sonos arc and Other HDMI to Tv but still I can’t get ˋDolby Atmos ´ Feature !

Unless your TV can convert the Dolby Atmos MAT sent from the Apple TV to Atmos (DD+) then you won’t get Atmos over an HDMI ARC connection as Apple use a higher bandwidth Atmos that requires eARC.

The HDFury Arcana is the most common eARC adapter although others are now available.

Badge

I am using Sony TV.

model :KD-55XF7077

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

If your TV does not have an eARC port, then you will not be able to get Atmos from the Apple TV unless you use a third party device (such as the HDFury Arcana) - best you can get is Dolby Digital 5.1 due to Apple’s MAT encoding protocol.  However, some TVs will be able to do “Lossy” Atmos from their internal apps even if they don’t have eARC.  That is what I have decided to do for now.  Bear in mind that ALL streaming apps that support Atmos only transmit via the lossy format.  So unless you use a Blu Ray player - you won’t be able to get uncompressed Atmos regardless.  

I decided to avoid using the HDFury given its high cost and these kind of devices are prone to having buggy issues.  

This is speculation, but what could happen is that Sonos is rumored to introduce its own Home Theatre OS.  That would be awesome.  That would mean that you use the Sonos sound bar as your streaming device and it would therefore support Atmos natively.   The hardware should be capable to do that.  

Badge

Many thanks for the info.

yes , now I already getting Dolby digital 5.1 via Apple TV.

Though I was a thinking about third party eARC switch for example OREI HDA-935 ( price 110 euro !) 

Anyway Hoping Sonos will soon release a OS for Dolby Atmos :)

Userlevel 7

yes , now I already getting Dolby digital 5.1 via Apple TV.

Though I was a thinking about third party eARC switch for example OREI HDA-935 ( price 110 euro !) 

Anyway Hoping Sonos will soon release a OS for Dolby Atmos :)

Your issue has nothing to do with Sonos. The Sonos Arc is already capable of playing Atmos. The problem is you are not feeding it a Dolby Atmos signal. Use another streaming device (Fire stick/cube etc) that allow Atmos (DD+) over HDMI ARC.