Sonos Ace - Not Recognizing PD (Power Delivery) Charger_The Headphones Are Not Defective

Userlevel 7

Hello

Some have reported charging issues with PD certified chargers for the Sonos Ace Headphones. Please be advised that the Ace headset is not malfunctioning. 

There is a compatibility issue with certain PD certified chargers. Sonos Tech Support informed me that they are aware of the incompatibility and are looking at possible remedies. 

IMO that means that not all PD certified chargers will be included in a fix. However, per Sonos Tech Support; any charger purchased should be at least 15 Watts and there is no ceiling on the maximum wattage.

I’ve already been through a (hit n’ miss) PD certified charger selection process. My findings are below in case you’re interested.

Compatible PD Chargers / Available on Amazon

• Mophie-Speedport 30W USB-C PD GaN_Model:409911448
  • Samsung 45W Wall Charger Power Adapter - Super Fast _EP-T4511 / EP-T4511XBEGUS
  • Generic_128W USB C Wall Charger, Gan III 3-Port Fast Charging Station QC Foldable Charger 

Non-Compatible PD Charger Brands

• Anker
  • Belkin
  • EZQuest

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Please be advised that the Ace headset is not malfunctioning.

Phew, thanks for advising of this..🤣, although having compatibility issues with some of the biggest brands in charging technology isn’t a good thing (I’ve never heard of such a thing to be honest, PD is supposed to be a standard...).  One could say they’re not functioning correctly, malfunctioning even?

Some posts do rather read as being official Sonos statements (thinking of this one too....)

At Sonos we and I as CEO want to bring the best listening experience to our customers. …….... In the end we are confident that the majority of our customers will be pleased with the finished product that is the Sonos OS. Please be patient as we work to ensure your confidence in Sonos and the products we bring for your enjoyment.”

Do you have anything official sounding to share on the buzzing/static/sizzling/interference being reported on Ace?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7

Phew, thanks for advising of this..🤣, although having compatibility issues with some of the biggest brands in charging technology isn’t a good thing (I’ve never heard of such a thing to be honest, PD is supposed to be a standard...).  One could say they’re not functioning correctly, malfunctioning even?

Some posts do rather read as being official Sonos statements (thinking of this one too....)

At Sonos we and I as CEO want to bring the best listening experience to our customers. …….... In the end we are confident that the majority of our customers will be pleased with the finished product that is the Sonos OS. Please be patient as we work to ensure your confidence in Sonos and the products we bring for your enjoyment.”

Do you have anything official sounding to share on the buzzing/static/sizzling/interference being reported on Ace?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You’re such a funny person…sarcasm and all! Printing statements out of context benefits no one!  No I have no more information to share official or otherwise…at this time! When I do…l’ll post them!

Furthermore PD as a standard is not always implemented correctly or it tweaked by the manufacturer. Anker uses a proprietary implementation they call it which supposedly approximates PD. There is also QC used by Belkin.

I suggest you do more research before making criticisms!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Saying something like ‘Please be advised….’ and underlining it sounds as official as it gets and for the other comment quoted but linked, I specifically said they read as being official, I didn’t say that they were or that you claimed they were official - but the wording appear specifically to look official.

Regarding doing more research, I’d be interested to see where your research has shown that Anker etc. use a proprietary implementation despite claiming they are literally PD.  Similarly, QC is a separate, but similar technology to PD so again, links showing QC is being passed off as PD would be welcome too.

For me, if they say they’re PD they should be.  Although, complying with the mandated voltages and currents should be sufficient and has been on any USB device I’ve ever owned - long before PD was a thing…..

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I bet it goes something like this 

Please be advised Ace is Not Defective, get your ears checked”🤣

It’s pretty wild that they recommend a usb charger that delivers 15w should work but here we are told Anker and Belkin are a hard no 🤔 

“There is a compatibility issue with certain PD certified chargers.” 

So it’s the chargers not the headphones 🤦‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just a little background for the curious: the USB-IF organization sets the standards for all aspects of USB—PD included—and sets testing criteria.

While one assumes the random-six-character companies (cough, Amazon sellers, cough) may play fast and loose with the specs and assuredly skip third-party testing, the name brands absolutely play by the book. I’ve run this gauntlet (working through a third-party testing outfit) and it is a formal process.

https://www.usb.org

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @AjTrek1 et al, 

I’ve removed some replies from this thread, please stay courteous and on topic for further replies or this thread will have to be locked.

To add to the original post, these are the chargers that have been tested which fail to charge the Sonos Ace:

• Anker PowerPort PDNano (A2634) with PD
  • Tenker TA06A3
  • Kovol Sprint 65W PD GaN Wall Charger

Not all chargers are affected and there may be other chargers that are not on this list which have this issue, but our team are aware and investigating this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks for listing some non-compatible chargers.

It appears that it's not true to state that the likes of Anker and Belkin should be considered as Non-Compatible PD Charger Brands and having them listed as such could cause confusion.

To say that “Anker uses a proprietary implementation they call it which supposedly approximates PD. There is also QC used by Belkin.” is also currently baseless and could cause confusion.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for listing some non-compatible chargers.

It appears that it's not true to state that the likes of Anker and Belkin should be considered as Non-Compatible PD Charger Brands and having them listed as such could cause confusion.

To say that “Anker uses a proprietary implementation they call it which supposedly approximates PD. There is also QC used by Belkin.” is also currently baseless and could cause confusion.

You’re welcome.

Please read @Jamie A post. I bought and tested several Anker models as well as several Belkin models and the EZQuest model. They did not charge the Ace.

The one’s listed as compatible I bought and tested as well.

FYI, that’s what meant by “hit and miss”. Bought and tested.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Also, check cables, some cables have ‘E-Marker’ chips in, that may or may not affect compatibility. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My ‘thank you’ was to Jamie as he listed some specific chargers with compatibility issues

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.