Skip to main content
Question

Sonos ACE low volume when connected to android phone using usb c

Hi,

I just got the new Sonos ACE.

I connected them to my SGS23 to hear loosless audio but the volume is to low.

On my laptop the volume is great using the same cable.

I believe the issue is with the drivers.

How to solve it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Same issue when I connect to iPhone 15 Pro Max and 3rd gen iPod. Even at max volume it’s not loud enough. I am using the USB-C to USB-C cable for iPhone and USB-C to 3.5mm cables. Volume is TOOOOOOO LOW.

Badge

I have this issue but only with the 3.5mm to usb-c audio cable provided, not usbc-usb-c connection.

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue. Volume from my Android (Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra) is very low through USB. I've tried USB-C to USB-C, 3.5mm (connected with external DAC) to USB-C.

This is not the case for any of my other sets of headphones, so it is not an issue with the phone.

I have the same problem with my iPhone 12, volume 100% and it is still not loud.
I hope Sonos will fix this with the next update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same here. Bluetooth volume level much higher in comparison with USB-C:USB-C cable and USB-C to 3.5mm cable. Volume via wired is way too low.

Tested with both smartphone (Pixel 8/Iphone) and Laptop  
--

In Bluetooth also had a couple of sudden disconnects both on laptop and smartphone and both were very close distance to ACE headphone. So no out of reach situation. 

Userlevel 1

Same here. iPhone 15 Pro Max. Tried both Apple Music and Spotify just to see if it was something to do with lossless. Same experience.

Not sure about Android, but just as a quick thought here, if using iOS devices, perhaps check if you have ‘Headphone Safety’ enabled in the iOS device sound settings and see if that is limiting the volume level. I have an iPhone XR and it’s plenty loud enough for me when using Ace connected to a uGreen lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Userlevel 1

Not sure about Android, but just as a quick thought here, if using iOS devices, perhaps check if you have ‘Headphone Safety’ enabled in the iOS device sound settings and see if that is limiting the volume level. I have an iPhone XR and it’s plenty loud enough for me when using Ace connected to a uGreen lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, that software setting was not enabled, so I’m still a bit perplexed. Going to try on a few other devices to see if it’s a Sonos issue or iOS issue.

Userlevel 1

Tried on my work phone which is an S24 Ultra. Same experience. Volume is incredibly low at the midpoint of the volume slider. 

It worked as expected on my Apple Silicon based MacBook Air. However, when plugging the Ace into my MacBook Air, I experienced for the first time, crackling in the right earpiece. It lasted for about 5 seconds prior to the handshake between the MacBook and the Ace.

I have the same exact setup but with iphone 13 pro max, i use also ugreen lighting to 3.5mm adapter. The volume is low. I checked the headphone safety option, it’s turned off, and still the volume is low. I think this has to be software issue from sonos, because when i use it wirelessly, the volume is actually higher. So it’s not hardware issue, it’s probably software issue i think

Same issue here! Pixel 8 Pro android. Using USB C volume is very very low, and does not sound great.

@Sonos, any update??

I have the same exact setup but with iphone 13 pro max, i use also ugreen lighting to 3.5mm adapter. The volume is low. I checked the headphone safety option, it’s turned off, and still the volume is low. I think this has to be software issue from sonos, because when i use it wirelessly, the volume is actually higher. So it’s not hardware issue, it’s probably software issue i think

Are you adjusting both the iPhone volume control and the Ace volume control too, as they are independent of each other - I set the IPhone to full volume (as an example) and the Ace to around 60%, or vice versa, and that’s loud enough for me.

Are you adjusting both the iPhone volume control and the Ace volume control too, as they are independent of each other - I set the IPhone to full volume (as an example) and the Ace to around 60%, or vice versa, and that’s loud enough for me.

I have both on maximum volume 

Not independent on iPhone. 

Not independent on iPhone. 

Mine is independent when using the lightning to 3.5mm adapter  but it’s not on the iPad Pro when using USB-C to USB-C

I have had the same problem on my new iPhone 15 of about 2 weeks old.

Until today I had not powered off the iPhone, so did. Restarted, and connected my Ace to the iPhone while power off on the headphones. I then powered on the Ace and the volume is fine.

I also have the same issue but not just with my S23 Ultra. I also use the 3.5mm to USB-C as I sometimes need to practice my Piano music on my electronic keyboard in a silent environment, however I can barely hear it. @Sonos you need to fix this asap!!.

I also have the same issue but not just with my S23 Ultra. I also use the 3.5mm to USB-C as I sometimes need to practice my Piano music on my electronic keyboard in a silent environment, however I can barely hear it. @Sonos you need to fix this asap!!.

Did you try turning up both the volume on the S23 Ultra, aswell as turning up the volume on the Ace Headphones to see if things then go loud enough?

I use a DAC with my iPhone XR to give me lossless audio over the lightning connection and if I turn up the phone volume and then the Ace volume aswell, it’s more than loud enough for my ears.

Yes I did that and everything else live chat suggested. It's not just the phone issue it's my electric keyboard as well from the 3.5mm to USB-C very low volume.

Userlevel 3

I’m actually having the same exact issue when I listen to music from my iPhone via usbc to lighting/3.5mm cable and dongle. Volume is WAY lower via the cable than it is via Bluetooth. Any other suggestions? 

When is Sonos going to pull their finger out and address the shockingly low volume levels on Android phones?? It's like this outfit wants to lose money, reputation and credo .... Meccha Taihen and very frustrating from a Japanese company