Skip to main content
Question

Help Needed: Sonos Ace Headphones and the 3.5mm to USB-C Cable Issue

• 7 June 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone,

I’ve been attempting to use the longer 3.5mm to USB-C cable, which is the one supplied for audio, with my Sonos Ace headphones. However, it doesn’t work for audio transmission with my DAP. The short USB-C to USB-C cable, meant for charging, is the one that successfully transmits audio. Has anyone else had this issue?

8 replies

Badge

Hello everyone,

An update on the issue I previously mentioned regarding the 3.5mm to USB-C audio cable supplied with my Sonos Ace headphones: After further experimentation, I’ve managed to get some sound out of the headphones using this connection, but the volume is extremely low. Even when I turn the volume up to the maximum on my DAP, the sound is barely audible.

It’s puzzling because the short USB-C to USB-C charging cable transmits audio without any issues and at normal volume levels. This leads me to believe that the problem might be related to the analog-to-digital conversion process within the cable or the headphones.

Has anyone experienced something similar or found a solution to this? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 1

I have a similar issue, although the volume is also low with the USB to USB cable for me.

I’m having a similar volume issue with the USB-C to mini plug. Low volume when computer/phone/tablet is at max volume. 3 different devices same result.

Userlevel 2

the 3.5mm to usb-c works fine on my mac. usb-usb-c from ipad is fine too [volume levels are normal].   However from iphone 14 max using the apple lightning to 3.5 and the supplied cable doesnt work. So its either the phone or the converter or software ?

I have a similar issue, although the volume is also low with the USB to USB cable for me.

Same issue 

Badge

Hi Chami

Mine is fine when using usbc to usbc from my DAP, which is a Hiby r3 ii, but low also with the usbc when connected to my Samsung Galaxy s22 ultra phone. 

Have you tried the latest Sonos Ace software update?  I am yet to test it again with the 3.5mm analog or other.

I found the analog to usb-c did work but it was super low at Max.

Badge

For those experiencing this, have you tried turning the volume up all the way on the headphones itself? I’ve noticed that when in wired mode, the Ace still manages its own volume and you're forced to turn it up every time you switch from Bluetooth to wired.

Userlevel 1

HiFi Oasis,

Using the headphones volume slider doesn't change the volume discrepancy. It's still far louder over bluetooth than it is through a wired connection.