Answered

Ace headphones not charging

Show first post

95 replies

Have you installed the latest Ace firmware to see if that perhaps fixes the issue? I am able to charge the headphones with a 100W PD charger and a 36W charger too.

I updated my Sonos Ace firmware immediately after unboxing it. And I experienced this charger compatibility issue a few days after that. 

Have you not checked for Ace updates since? See this link…

Is there a solution? 

Nope. It appears that it's just weirdly incompatible with a lot of chargers. The safest bet is to charge it with a charger that outputs 18W or lower. So all of wall chargers with female USB-A port should be ok.

And as I mentioned earlier, Apple chargers (I've got the 96W one for MacBook Pro, and the 35W dual port one) are working, Google chargers (30W and 18W) are working, and all of power banks I have (various brands) are working.

This does hurt my impression of the product.

Have you installed the latest Ace firmware to see if that perhaps fixes the issue? I am able to charge the headphones with a 100W PD charger and a 36W charger too.

I updated my Sonos Ace firmware immediately after unboxing it. And I experienced this charger compatibility issue a few days after that. 

Some more info here, including Some saying their headphones are bricked. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/QY4v1Upd3d

Badge +1

I have just updated with the latest firmware today (2.9.4.xxx) and the issue still remains. It still doesn't charge with my Belkin chargers (65W and 40W) (both have dual ports and nothing works).

That reddit thread about Anker chargers bricking Ace is very concerning. This is not good, Sonos!

I have just updated with the latest firmware today (2.9.4.xxx) and the issue still remains. It still doesn't charge with my Belkin chargers (65W and 40W) (both have dual ports and nothing works).

What model numbers are your Belkin chargers and are they both PD certified, or not?

That reddit thread about Anker chargers bricking Ace is very concerning. This is not good, Sonos!

It’s not just Anker unfortunately. I would probably not use the belkin charger tbh. 

I tend to spend that little bit extra and use charger cables with E-marker chips built in. I also wait at least 10 seconds between unplugging and re-plugging in any device with either a ‘USB’, or ‘lightning’ connection etc, or any power supply for that matter.

I’ve seen some people plug and unplug devices both repeatedly and very quickly …and then wonder why their device has stopped working. I guess we may never know what some users did to cause their Ace to not respond, but maybe there’s a way around such PID controller failure issues, with a reset, other than a factory reset, like we see with some products.

I do prefer to use PD certified chargers, wherever possible.

The 100W PD certified charger I use here will charge two Sonos Moves at the same time, or a single Sonos Roam, aswell as the new Ace. It also charges our mobiles, Android tablets and iPads. So it’s a really handy power brick to have around and very useful when travelling away from Home.

It’s not clear what todays Ace update was for anyway, although I have seen one user mention that it had fixed a minor noise they had noticed with their Ace - but I’ve not encountered that noise issue either.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Is there a solution? 

Nope. It appears that it's just weirdly incompatible with a lot of chargers. The safest bet is to charge it with a charger that outputs 18W or lower. So all of wall chargers with female USB-A port should be ok.

And as I mentioned earlier, Apple chargers (I've got the 96W one for MacBook Pro, and the 35W dual port one) are working, Google chargers (30W and 18W) are working, and all of power banks I have (various brands) are working.

This does hurt my impression of the product.

Thank you. Mine too. I don’t think I’ve seen such an issue with a product this expensive. 

Thank you. Mine too. I don’t think I’ve seen such an issue with a product this expensive.

These online platforms where such things are mentioned/highlighted are a bit like hospitals, where a good many people seem to be ill, but the majority of people are actually fine in the world.

The majority of folk will rarely post messages online to say their Ace Headphones are working perfectly. I can only add that my Ace here is working and charging without any of the issues mentioned - but admittedly I don’t possess/use Belkin, or Anker chargers… I have two PD certified chargers and an Apple iPad Pro charger and they’ve each been working fine with the Ace.

Badge +1

These online platforms where such things are mentioned/highlighted are a bit like hospitals, where a good many people seem to be ill, but the majority of people are actually fine in the world.

The majority of folk will rarely post messages online to say their Ace Headphones are working perfectly. I can only add that my Ace here is working and charging without any of the issues mentioned - but admittedly I don’t possess/use Belkin, or Anker chargers… I have two PD certified chargers and an Apple iPad Pro charger and they’ve each been working fine with the Ace.

I disagree. There are also many people out there experiencing product issues that don't go online. They just call support or go to the store to return instead. Or just can't be bothered to do anything at all.

The other point I want to reiterate is, Belkin and Anker are some of the most well known brands for chargers. They're not niche. Even official Apple Stores in my region stock Belkin accessories. These chargers can charge or power any USB-C devices I have ranging from laptops, earbuds, cameras, power banks, smartwatches, wireless charging docks, other headphones... But not Sonos Ace.

I think this is an issue that shouldn't be downplayed or let slide easily for such a premium product.

I disagree. There are also many people out there experiencing product issues that don't go online. They just call support or go to the store to return instead. Or just can't be bothered to do anything at all.

The other point I want to reiterate is, Belkin and Anker are some of the most well known brands for chargers. They're not niche. Even official Apple Stores in my region stock Belkin accessories. These chargers can charge or power any USB-C devices I have ranging from laptops, earbuds, cameras, power banks, smartwatches, wireless charging docks, other headphones... But not Sonos Ace.

I think this is an issue that shouldn't be downplayed or let slide easily for such a premium product.

I agree… I think it would be nice for SONOS to maybe mention why some chargers don’t work. Perhaps they don’t know yet… but it is strange.

I’m not playing it down at all - I agree that at the very least, every modern PD certified usb-c charger should work with the Ace. I wasn’t sure if today’s update might have fixed the issue. I can also only speak as I find and that is the Apple iPad Pro 20W charger and the two PD certified chargers (100W and 36W) are all working fine with the Ace here.

I’ve obviously no idea why some Belkin, and/or Anker chargers are not working. My own thoughts there are that Sonos will likely (hopefully) go onto perhaps resolve the issue with a future update, unless of course the issues lie with particular models of some chargers etc. or it perhaps might be changes in the PD certification compliance/technical specification etc. I guess we shall have to just see what happens with any updates, or announcements.

If anything, Sonos are probably still investigating the issue as the Ace is a relatively new product and if these issues have only recently come to light, then they might currently be on a fact-finding mission to establish the extent and cause of the issue. It may also only get priority if these matters are indeed getting reported to their customer support desk or Sonos Staff and the make/model of chargers are being identified. It’s why I asked in my earlier posts for the model of the Belkin chargers and if they were PD certified, so any Sonos Staff reading this thread can gather that information, as required. 

Badge +1

Yes, these Belkin chargers are PD 3.0 certified with PPS. Yet Sonos Ace doesn't work with them.

I hope Sonos is aware of this and is looking into solving the issue. But I don't get the feeling that they are.

Yes, these Belkin chargers are PD 3.0 certified with PPS. Yet Sonos Ace doesn't work with them.

I hope Sonos is aware of this and is looking into solving the issue. But I don't get the feeling that they are.

Have you not reported it to Sonos customer support and given them the make/model of your PD certified charger(s)? There’s no guarantee the Staff here who moderate the community forum have seen your posts, or passed on the info. I would certainly report it to Sonos and give them the details. In fact I’d encourage anyone with a charger issue to do this, if their charger displays the required 5V x 3A = 15W power output.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Have you not reported it to Sonos customer support and given them the make/model of your PD certified charger(s)? There’s no guarantee the Staff here who moderate the community forum have seen your posts, or passed on the info. I would certainly report it to Sonos and give them the details. In fact I’d encourage anyone with a charger issue to do this, if their charger displays the required 5V x 3A = 15W power output.

Is there anything in the manual or box that says what the min or max wattage is for the Ace? I have been trying to look online, but to no avail.

Is there anything in the manual or box that says what the min or max wattage is for the Ace? I have been trying to look online, but to no avail.

See this post and comments from Staff…

15W is mentioned by the Staff and the PD usb voltage is 5V, so it’s clear that 5V x3A (15W) is the ‘minimum’ power output needed - I’d personally expect any charger with that power output to work with the Ace. It’s better though if the charger is PD certified. I’m surprised that some Belkin & Anker chargers are not working if they are certified and have that power output.

Badge +1

See this post and comments from Staff…

15W is mentioned by the Staff and the PD usb voltage is 5V, so it’s clear that 5V x3A (15W) is the ‘minimum’ power output needed - I’d personally expect any charger with that power output to work with the Ace. It’s better though if the charger is PD certified. I’m surprised that some Belkin & Anker chargers are not working if they are certified and have that power output.

That's definitely 100% inaccurate information. Change that from 'minimum' to 'maximum'. From my real life experiments with extensive variations of chargers, Ace cannot accept wattage higher than 18W. Thus I also strongly believe that Ace isn't PD compliant. Big thumbs down for Sonos.

That's definitely 100% inaccurate information. Change that from 'minimum' to 'maximum'. From my real life experiments with extensive variations of chargers, Ace cannot accept wattage higher than 18W. Thus I also strongly believe that Ace isn't PD compliant. Big thumbs down for Sonos.

I’m only repeating what was mentioned by the Staff in their post, that link is in my earlier message  - and the Ace does not have to accept every voltage that a PD charger supplies - it only has to be able to accept a charge from a PD certified charger and I can say that the Ace works with the PD chargers I have here. I use E-Marker chipped cables too, to ensure correct power delivery and the Ace has been charging fine here. 

For those that have PD certified chargers that are not working with their Ace, if not done so already, then I’d let Sonos Customer Services know about the issue and provide them with the make/model of the charger and perhaps a screenshot of its power-output too that’s printed on the charger, so that the matter can be investigated further, perhaps. Here is the link to contact Sonos CS:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

edit: All PD certified chargers should output 15W - (5V x 3A) as I’m pretty sure that is part of the current (no pun intended) PD certification, that’s as far as I can gather …and so they should work to charge the Ace. I’ve no idea why some ‘certified’ chargers are not working.🤷‍♂️

Badge +1

And I'm only stating facts. Whether you were repeating some information from the Staff or not. Also, just because it came from the Staff, doesn't make it true. I (and so many other people) have proven and demonstrated that that information is false.

I have contacted support separately. But I'm also going to keep sharing real life experiences here and other channels on the internet to inform others.

And I'm only stating facts. Whether you were repeating some information from the Staff or not. Also, just because it came from the Staff, doesn't make it true. I (and so many other people) have proven and demonstrated that that information is false.

I have contacted support separately. But I'm also going to keep sharing real life experiences here and other channels on the internet to inform others.

Then perhaps remain unbiased and include in your posts that some PD certified chargers do work - as that’s the truth of the matter too.

Badge +1

Then perhaps remain unbiased and include in your posts that some PD certified chargers do work - as that’s the truth of the matter too.

I'm not sure if you're joking or lacking something. I have included in my very first post on this thread and a couple of followup posts about chargers that DO work.

You're the one looking like you have a weird bias here.

I'm not sure if you're joking or lacking something. I have included in my very first post on this thread and a couple of followup posts about chargers that DO work.

You're the one looking like you have a weird bias here.

Bias? - I have simply posted the information I have gathered - if you think thats wrong, then so be it. I also have acknowledged earlier that some users have mentioned their PD certified chargers were apparently not working with the Ace, namely some Anker and Belkin chargers. The PD certified chargers that I have here, do work… and I’ve posted links to those chargers in my earlier posts.

I’m also trying to help here by suggesting those who have a PD ‘certified’ charger issue (of whatever make/model) that do not work with their Ace, should perhaps contact Sonos to allow them to investigate the matter… I’m not sure where bias comes into that but again, if you think I’m being bias then that’s your prerogative.

I only pointed out your apparent bias as you mentioned this "I'm also going to keep sharing real life experiences here and other channels on the internet to inform others”. I was just suggesting you also include the fact that "some PD certified chargers do also work with the Ace”… as that clearly is the truth of the matter aswell and helps to remove any bias, when you do keep sharing your ‘real life experience’, as you put it.

Badge +1

Sure here it again. Everyone, heads up!

It appears that Sonos Ace is not PD compliant. Only use chargers (whether it's PD compliant or not) that can output 18W or lower.

Had Sonos Ace properly supported PD, it would have been able to regulate the charge it receives. But it can't. And that's actually quite embarrassing in 2024.

Do not bother contacting support or even go through the hassle of factory reset. It's not going to do anything. Because it's likely caused by a hardware skimp-out done by Sonos.

Some chargers like the Apple charger for MacBook Pro (I've tested 70W, 96W, and 140W) do work. Google chargers (I've tested 18W and 30W) do work. And any old chargers with USB-A port do work as well.

However, some PD chargers like Belkin's 65W and 40W ones do not work. Because the lowest wattage they can output is 20W, and as I mentioned above, Sonos Ace can't regulate that.

So yeah. 18W or lower.

And just to perhaps compliment the above this 100W "PD certified” charger that I purchased from Amazon which will happily charge two Roam/Roam 2’s simultaneously, or two Move/Move 2’s, and I believe it will also charge two Ace headphones simultaneously aswell, or you can mix ‘n’ match two of those products with the charger. 

Note I have only tested it with two Roams and Moves mentioned (both generations), however I have only personally tested it with one Ace so far, as I just have the one pair of headphones only:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CVFMGL1

Note the cable that is supplied with Roam (gen1) is USB-A to USB-C, so that requires a different cable for the PD certification.

I’ve attached a couple of perhaps helpful photos too.

The charger will also charge an iPhone/iPad simultaneously and I use it to charge Android devices too, so it’s quite versatile, but it is auite a bulky charger, compared to many similar mobile device chargers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Just so everyone knows, I think it’s PD compliant. Used my 100W Anker and have had no issues.

Badge +1

Just so everyone knows, I think it’s PD compliant. Used my 100W Anker and have had no issues.

That's not how to look at it. Your 100W Anker charger probably has the ability to output 18W or lower, hence it works for Ace.