Answered

worth switching Sonos from Virgin wifi to Nest wifi?

• 4 April 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Have just set up a Google Best WiFi mesh in my house to help with dead spots on the virgin media hub 3.0. Are there any advantages to switching my sonos from the virgin network to the new mesh? Thinking of google assistant and home connectivity etc. 

icon

Best answer by John B 4 April 2020, 15:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have heard of issues with Sonos and google.  I think people have found it works best running Sonosnet still with device plugged into google primary node. 

If you can choose whether to set up Sonos on the Virgin network or Google WiFi then you have not got your network setup right.  

You should:

1. Turn off the Wifi on the Virgin router
  2. Have the primary Google puck as the only device wired to the Virgin router.
  3. Wire a Sonos device (speaker or Boost) to the primary Google puck
Badge +2

If you can choose whether to set up Sonos on the Virgin network or Google WiFi then you have not got your network setup right.  

You should:

1. Turn off the Wifi on the Virgin router
  2. Have the primary Google puck as the only device wired to the Virgin router.
  3. Wire a Sonos device (speaker or Boost) to the primary Google puck

I did turn the virgin media router to modem only mode and then for some reason it lost its connection entirely so I switched it back on. I have not actually tried to connect the one of the sonos speakers the google WiFi yet whilst the virgin is still on but assume by what you say that’s not possible. I will try connecting one by Ethernet to the google router. Thanks 

Putting the Virgin router into modem only mode is definitely right.  You can’t switch off the DHCP server on Google and you don’t want two DHCP servers running.  Everything should then connect to Google, and wiring a Sonos device gets round a couple of other undesirable Google wifi ‘features’.

After switching the VM box to modem mode the primary Google puck would need to be power-cycled. It probably lost its connection because it still had the private IP on its WAN Interface that the VM box had assigned it earlier. 

Badge +2

I meant the virgin router lost its connection when I put it into modem mode and the red light came on. Restarted left it for 30 mins but no internet...

Did you try powercycling the VM box? 

Can you just turn the wifi off without putting it into modem only mode?

Badge +2

Hi managed to connect the sonos to the Nest WiFi today by doing the following :

• Ethernet cable from LAN port on Nest router to one of play 1s used as a rear surround 
  • Turned off virgin router at mains 
  • Went into sonos app only the surround was showing
  • followed WiFi fix it link 
  • Selected Nest which showed up in the choice of networks available 
  • turned virgin route back on
  • Nest WiFi then appeared in choice of networks I selected it and entered WiFi password 
  • all my sonos products appeared on the sonos app 
  • I now have a choice of WiFi frequencies but not sure if it was there before the change 

I have no idea if the steps were correct or if they actually had and effect but that’s what I did! 

So both WiFi networks are running the house but this wasn’t impacting the Sonos previously do assume no problem.

Thanks for your comments all!